Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get R-12 put into my AC system. Preferably on the west side of Los Angeles? This is actually to recharge a Camry but hey I can't find anyone on the internet. The shop in Culver City that did it 5 years ago is no longer around and all shops I've checked so far say no can do...

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Are you sure you need R12, not R-134A? R12 hasn't been used since the early 90s???
Even so, be cheaper converting.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm positive. The car is an 87. We've owned it since 1988. It doesn't take that much Freon and it seems to be working only not cold. No blinking lights. It was cold a year or two ago. Anyways I can't find anybody that'll work with R-12 around here. Looking to see if anyone knows a shop. I'd be willing to drive an hour or so to get someplace if need be.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Look on offerup or Craigslist for fans of R12 . Should find them for $20-40 as long as you have a charge hose .

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
do yourself a favor and just convert over to R134a. its cheap, readily available, and you can always find someone to service the system for you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just use dust off, aka difluoroethane. I've converted my daily's R134a system over to difluoroethane and the AC blows ice cubes out the vents, literally.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
R12 is banned everywhere basically. To be able to purchase, handle and install R12 you have to be licensed and certified by the EPA for it to be legal. Along with that certification, I am confident there is book full of rules and restrictions. You can put freeze 12 in an R12 system but it apparently is not as efficient as R12.

To convert to 134 you have to have a licensed shop remove all the R12 refrigerant and the vacuum pump out the R12 compatible ester oil out of your system. You can then replace it with r134a compatible ester oil and then recharge the system. If you get the conversion kit, there are adapter fittings that can be bolted onto the R12 fittings.

What I did was get a freeze 12 kit a long time back and kept the R12 compatible adapter hose and fitted it onto a 134A kit. I had to replace my compressor anyway so I replaced the ester oil with 134A ester oil. I can use the freeze 12 hose/adapter and install 134A in my system.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
try Buggie Builders. last time i was out that way they were working on anything and everything.

http://buggybuilders.blogspot.com/

a few yrs ago at a yard sale i found a case of R12 in the garage hidden behind old boxes. it was all in a sealed box
I asked the old guy how much for the case and he opened it to count the cans

there were 6

he said how does 50 cents each sound. I handed him $3 and ran like a thief.

i used 1 just last week to boost up my 93

·
Registered
489 Posts
I converted to 134a on an 88 Camry and it didn't cool that well especially in city traffic.

There is more to converting to 134a than most realize. Assuming all good parts you will have to flush the oil out and replace it with POE or PAG (whatever route you want to go). Then the charge amount is less. The other issue is that even if it goes perfect it will never cool as well because you need a better condenser preferably a parallel flow one and a larger displacement compressor. Some cars need an auxillary electric fan as well.

I remember all the kits they were selling and they were all snake oil. Lots of ruined compressors and cars that cooled poorly. I was still an ASE master tech at that time. I still have a few cans of R12 left that I haven't sold. Also the epa license is a simple online open book test that cost like $14.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I converted to 134a on an 88 Camry and it didn't cool that well especially in city traffic.
Did you convert the compressor, as well? The new(er) Sandia style compressors work well with the R-134. The R12 units, not so much.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Long Beach Swap meet Sunday July 14th. Several guys are always selling cans of it. Some cheap some in gold plated cans. LOL
Always there for sale.
Randy

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
my 82 fairmont did just fine in 100+ degree heat when i converted it to R134a after i had to change out the compressor when ti died. i did use the sanden 508 compressor though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts