Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Fastback, deluxe interior. 351c 4v.
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to run the wire for my electric choke? Just got it put on and I know there are a bunch of places that I "could" put it, but I'm sure you guys have the knowledge of the "best" place for it.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I was going to use the stator terminal on the back of the alternator. While this would work, it only supplies around 7 volts. But after trolling around on some other forums I discovered that the brown wire that connects to the blower motor is a switched full 12 volt source. I peeled back the harness wrap some a soldered a wire to the blower feed wire. I then taped it into the harness and dropped it down near the carb as the harness followed the underside of my export brace. It came out really neat and clean looking, and was pretty easy to setup. I hope this helps, Jeff

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm not thinking straight today... ignition wire, up by the key, or somewhere closer in the engine compartment?
AFAIK, tapping the ignition wire on the engine block is fine. The choke doesn't draw enough current to matter. Running a new wire from any +12 switched circuit under the dash would work well and avoid potential problems, but I think the first approach is just fine... will wait for corrections...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,129 Posts
I always use the "STA" terminal on the back of the alternator the same as Ford did. Yep, it only puts out 7 volts. It has worked fine for me with Autolites, Motorcrafts, Holleys, Holley/Motorcraft 4180's, Holley/Weber progressives, Holleys, and Edelbrocks. Quadrajets, I don't know.
I haven't noticed that hooking the wire to a 12 volt source works any better, but I haven't bothered to try it in the 10 years or so since I discovered hooking them up the same way as the factory does works just fine. Sure, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but on many cars the appropriate wire is already there.

·
Premium Member
19,259 Posts
But after trolling around on some other forums I discovered that the brown wire that connects to the blower motor is a switched full 12 volt source.
Sorry, but it is likely tied into the ACC line of the ignition switch, which means that if you use the ACC prior to starting a cold engine, your choke will have already turned off. That line is fine to use, just don't use the ACC portion of the keyed ignition switch.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
I always use the "STA" terminal on the back of the alternator the same as Ford did. Yep, it only puts out 7 volts. It has worked fine for me with Autolites, Motorcrafts, Holleys, Holley/Motorcraft 4180's, Holley/Weber progressives, Holleys, and Edelbrocks
Same here, use the STA (stator) terminal. One wire, from positive terminal on choke to the back of the alternator......done.... ::

·
Registered
656 Posts
use the stator terminal...
think about it...when's the best time to have the choke get power--when the key is on or when the motor is running???

hook it to the alternator so it actuates the choke AFTER you start the engine....that is the original...um origin anyway

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
The only electric chokes I've used have been on Edlebrocks, and I currently have 3 of them. I can tell you from experience, though, that the Edelbrocks work WAAAAY better with a full 12v on them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts