Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Fastback, deluxe interior. 351c 4v.
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to rebuild a c4 that's coming with a mustang I just got. I read in an old Mustang and Ford magazine that they are really easy to rebuild, but I don't have the entire article on how to do it. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good book or something that would help me through the process.

Also, would one of the rebuild kits I've seen on ebay work well. They are going for around $60.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Skip all of the eBay "deals", get the same parts that the tranny shops use....

www.bulkpart.com

or more specificly, for the C-4....

http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MDITP&Category_Code=C4

I'd suggest that you get the technical manual they sell first an read through it so that you understand the parts and procedures. THEN order your kit. Be aware the the kits DO NOT come with EVERY part you may need. Most "master" kits do not have bands, bushings, filters etc. These have to be ordered seperately and are crucial to a proper rebuild.

BTW; the C-4 is about the easiest tranny to rebuild. I've done 4 or 5 and it's a simple process, once you understand what is required of you.....

Good Luck!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Hanes makes a fantastic book that's available at any auto parts store, called "Ford Automatic Transmissions". It covers the C3, C4, C5, C6 and AOD. It walks you through a step by step rebuild, complete with pictures. That's what I used to rebuild my first C4 and to do a lot of work on my AOD.

You can also get the rebuild kit from TranStar which is where I got my rebuild kit since they have a shop local to me. My "master rebuild kit" came with everything needed except for the low/reverse band, which I had to purchase seperately.

I agree with HemiKiller, in that I'd stay away from those $60 kits, as they are probably just seal kits for that price. I paid about $130 for mine, including the low/reverse band.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I also used the Transtar kit, but mine came with both bands, all clutches, and seals. I did have to buy the thrust washer assortment separately though. I used a great video called something like How to rebuild the Ford C4 transmission. Don't know who made it, but I followed it step-by-step, and it was a cinch.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Always install a new intermediate servo piston (Not serviced in the kit), torque converter bushing, tailhousing bushing, and case bushing.

Don't take the valve body apart to clean it....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I got the book referred to below, got my kit from transtar, and most importantly I got the video. I like to see how things work, and the video was incredibly helpful. It showed how to tear the tranny down, inspect the parts to see what needs replacing, and how to put it together again and make adjustments. I got the video out of the eastwood catalog.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I thought JohnPro's Engine and Tranny Edu. Center up in Roseville, CA offered such courses free of charge including room,board & materials......::

Glad this issue came up for I'm pondering this exact issue myself. Would be fun to attempt in doing maybe during this coming winter.

·
Registered
742 Posts
John, When does the fall class schedule come out? ::

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello Joe:

As someone else suggested, The Eastwood Company web link sells a video specific to a C4 rebuild. It's definitely work the $29 cost. This way you can SEE the tear down, inspection and reassembly process in motion.

Good Luck,

Paul

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
John, When does the fall class schedule come out?
Put me on the mailing list. If I bring a 30 pack, will you cover airfare as well?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Sign me up too! Sounds like the beer is gonna be there....can I bring brisket and taters?
Or maybe some Cajun food? Been doing the carb counting thing with some buddies of mine too.
How is that supposed to work? We are doing it "first to a million" but I'm still in third place!
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The Hanes manual Johnpro mentioned is good but I had a couple issues with it. They used the same photograph for the forward drum assy and the reverse drum assy (I think that's the nomenclature for the two different drum assy - my buddy still has my book too).

The book also didn't show how one of the drum assy comes apart. Probably not a problem if the drum assy hasn't been fused together from overheating like the '65 C4 we were taking a part.

Another caveat is there are some minor variations in the internal parts of the C4 over the years. So, don't be too surprised if your C4 guts don't look exactly the same as what's shown in the book. Just keep track what year your trans is and buy replacement parts accordingly.

Overall, the book is good and I think I have almost $200 in my trans because I had to buy a parts trans for another drum assy.

As a comparison, my dad's'65 C4 cost around $500 for a rebuild by a trans shop.

REgards,

Dean T

1 - 15 of 15 Posts