Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a kenwood changer to install in my 67 convertible. I really don't want to mount it in the trunk, anyone have any creative places they mounted theres? I was thinking about building a hanger in the glove box, anyone do it already?

thanks
motorhead

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've seen them mounted in the glovebox before, I used to have a special setup w/ a DIN sized cd player in the glovebox. I'm not real familar w/ Kenwood changers so I don't know how big they are, but I've seen them in gloveboxes, consoles, under the dash, under seats, just about anywhere. Good luck!!

-Jason

'72 Mach 1 || '90 Talon TSi AWD
http://nosaj122081.tripod.com/parade3.jpg
"Thats not a leak, my car's marking its territory!"
"If you've done it, it ain't braggin'." -Roy Rogers

G

·
0 Posts
Have you thought about putting it under the passenger seat? If there is proper clearance between the seat and the floor you can have the changer eject towards the back. This way it is out of sight and you can have easy access to it without getting out of the car. Be sure to slide the seat all of the way forward and back to verify the clearance. The draw back is it might get bumped by your rear passenger foot.

I am not very familiar with the size of the glove box in the '67, but if it is like other Mustangs your changer will take up the entire space and you might have to remove or cut the back out of your box in order to get the depth you need.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Well guess what...

I've got a '67 convertible AND a Kenwood 6 Disc changer in my glovebox. I built a shelf out of sheet metal that I bent up so it would sit on the heater box (attached by velcro) and bolt in to the three screws holding the glove box door on. Of course I painted it and trimmed the old glove box liner so it would clear the changer while opening and closing. Real easy method, and also what I would consider the best place to mount it.

I've got a console so giving up the box was no bigee.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
What I've done before is to mount it under the driver's seat to where the driver can reach down between his legs to pull the cartridge out. Did it originally with 8 track players.===> Pulled the driver's seat and carpet. On the seat mounting pedistal is an indented area. This indention is for stiffening the mounting area; try to retain as much of it as possible. Mark a line 1/4 inch inside the oval. continue the line straight forward and down the front of the pedistalstopping at least 1/4 inch from the lower flange, also to retain some strength. round the cuts on the front as much as possible. Your car being a convertible, this pedistal is more than double as thick as in a coupe and doubled underneath. Modify the carpet to allow access and reinstall the seat. If you are concerned about loss of stiffness in the pedistal, or the cut out area exceeds the oval's domain, you can have a sheet metal shop make up a flat plate (thicker than stock for a non-vert) to screw down over the opening before reinstalling the carpet. The plate will handle the loads transfering through the pedistal. Amps can be done the same. Icut the interior of the ovals out in my convertible just to shoot rust neutralizer and preventative into that inaccessible area of the chassis.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
0 Posts
If you don't have ac you might want to consider mounting it to the dash above the center hump, or to the center hump itself. It is visable to theives, but it would also be easily accessable, and look nice. I have my CB hanging from my dash above the hump, I just drill two holed in the lip on the dash (same place the int. lights are mounted) and mounted the bracket with some stove bolts.

-John

66' 200 3 speed Daily Driver
AkA Babe the Blue Ox
Bloomington, IN & Louisville, KY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts