Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 coupe with a C4. I have the standard gauges and a tach mounted to the steering column. I'm thinking of getting a couple other gauges, but I'm not sure where to mount them. Does anyone have any pics of gauges? I don't want to mount them on the pillar...any other ideas?

Also, which gauges do you recommend? I'd like to get an A/F...what else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have a three guage pack in the passenger side footwell. I tied all the wires into a single connector so that I could quickly disconnect them. I also put two riv-nuts into the bottom on the glove box frame so that with two screws and a connector, I can completely remove the guages for a show (not a worry if you're running modified.)
Another option is to put a two-guage cluster at the top of the console, a la Shelbys, if you have a console. The guage structure is available from most Mustang vendors.
The key parameters to me were oil pressure (PROTECT YOUR MOTOR!), water temperature (PROTECT YOUR MOTOR!), and an ammeter, so I can know if my charging system is out. I have a tach dash, so the oil pressure is an idiot light. There is a water temp guage in the dash, but I worry about it enought that its an issue.
Air/fuel would be cool, since it would give info regarding carb tuning, and be much easier to monitor under real world circumstances.

Carl

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Ok, im going to flame you, but dont take it personal, this is just me ranting about people in general ::

Why do people start adding useless gauges, just to add gauges? Because they look cool? I can think of a lot cooler ways to spend money on a car. Gauges arent CHEAP! $40 each just for the simple stuff.

end rant.

Ok, now, back to the real conversasion. I think every car needs these gauges:
- speedo
- tach
- water temp
- oil pressure
- fuel level
- voltage or amps or something like that to monitor electrical.

Now, if you have a blower or turbo:
- boost pressure
- exhaust temperature

And, if you want something just to see if your fuel system is alive or dead, you can get an A/F ratio gauge, but in general they are useless. They will tell you lean, rich, or stoich. Stoic is only good for gas milage/immissions. All power tuning will be in the rich range and the gauge wont give you enough info to know if your in tune or not. My opinion is that an A/F gauge is good for tuning EFI for gas milage, and telling when you have a sudden loss of pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
You have room for something like this under your dash? I was thinking of putting guages just below the equalizer....

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/196000-196999/196945_9_full.jpg

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok, now, back to the real conversasion. I think every car needs these gauges:
- speedo
- tach
- water temp
- oil pressure
- fuel level
- voltage or amps or something like that to monitor electrical.

Now, if you have a blower or turbo:
- boost pressure
- exhaust temperature
I'd like to add one to that list that way too many people overlook: vacuum guage. Very useful for tuning and driving efficiency (if that is a concern).

Back to the original question... If you've got an original console, you can get a Shelby 2 guage pod that fits in the front ashtray space. Also, if you don't have a/c, I've seen lots of '69-'70 folks install guages in the space where the big center vent would go in the middle of the dash. I've also seen a "rally pac" type kit for '69-'70 cars that fits around the column and accomdates 2 guages and a tach.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
427 Posts
How about this?

http://www.johnhargett.com/images/smallextraG.jpg

I put the water/oil/voltage gauge in my Mach1 with the center gauges before I sold it. When I went to use them in the 'vert, there was no place for them. So I picked up this plastic three-gauge holder up on ebay for 10 bucks. They also sell two-gauge versions. It works really well and you get used to it quickly. Since the hood is so long, they don't block anything.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips!
I like the idea of putting them on the console. I have A/C, but I'm sure there's room on the console to mount a couple gauges.

Are the stock water temp and oil pressure gauges reliable? I worry about those also. Ideally, I'd like to replace all 4 gauges with a JME unit or equivalent, but that's a bit on the expensive side.

How useful/useless is a tranny temp gauge?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple more Q's:

-I know installing an A/F gauge involves welding an 02 sensor in the exhaust. How easy/difficult is to install other gauges such as water temp, oil pressure, volt meter, vaccuum gauge, etc.?
-mechanical or electrical?

Thanks for helping a newbie. :)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Electricals are easy. For oil pressure and water temperature, I teed the new sensors off of the existing sensor ports. A voltmeter just wires in to your existing harness. A boost/vacuum guage would be dependant on the set-up, as the only boost/vacuum guage I've worked with is "mechanical", in that I had to plumb a pressure source to the guage (car has a turbo, so the boost guage is important).
True mechanical guages mean plumbing sources in to the interior of the car (think an oil line for monitoring oil pressure), which to me isn't worth it.
I'm not crazed about the reliability of the factory water temperature guage, as it involves the mechanical cvr (i.e., not even close to constant signal). Being a mechanical type, I can't get comfortable with the theory that the guage is damped enough to average out the swings due to the non-constant voltage provided by the cvr, without affecting the reading. Maybe it works, its just too electrical for me (funny that I say that, since the cvr involves a mechanical make and break connection). With the cost of the motor, I prefer to have the extra "safety" of the redundant water temp guage, and the presence of an oil pressure readout and voltage readout to supplement the idiot lights on the tach car (which replaces the guages with idiot lights).

Carl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts