Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the 5.0 blocks have a hole on one side of the block where the angled dipstick tube goes into the pan. The 5.0's also use a rear sump pan giving them plenty of room to do so. This is a 5.0 block, but I'm using the front sump early 302/289 style pan and the tube hit's the shallow part in the rear of the pan. What you say? Go through the hole in the timing cover? No can do, I'm using the 5.0 timing cover for a few reasons and there is no hole there! So my dad wants to drill a hole for the dipstick tube right through the timing cover and the block. Any ways around this? I sure hope so, thanks!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Listen to your dad, he has the proper wisdom on this problem. Look at the timing cover and you will see the flat spot where it needs to be drilled. I have already been there and done that...BTW, be sure to plug the dipstick tube hole in the side of the block...

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Go ahead and drill a hole through the timing cover in the same spot it would be on an older 302 with a front sump pan. Drill it with the cover off or the pan off so you don't leave aluminum shavings in the engine. Don't forget to plug that hole on the side of the block.

·
Administrator
19,305 Posts
You only have to drill the timing cover itself and purchase the correct "old style" dipstick assembly. Not a big deal. If you have an older timing cover (or a car with one) you can compare to, you can see exactly where to drill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts