Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the obvious such as this very forum, Streetside Classics, Gateway Classic Cars, eBay and Craigslist ...

What are some other classic car sites to peruse for a Vintage Mustang (any condition, any price)?

·
Dimples
4,836 Posts
I personally wouldn't go to any "classic car site" to buy one. That comes with overhead and margins that are paid for by higher prices on the cars. IMO, the only reason to go through a dealer is if you need financing. The next question would be why in the hell are you financing a classic car.

Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The local barn ...... :)

The "Trader" sites I think are the most reputable. As listed above.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I bought my 66 ragtop in Garage Kept Motors, Grand Rapids, MI
All correct, no surprises. I am very happy with the deal, car was in excellent condition.

Josep

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would also look at autions like Mecum. They have a few nice cars posted online for thier up coming events. Also, the bigger car shows and swap meets.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Yep I have bought two on Craigslist but I was also going to say check the local newspaper / site and Autoloader. You'll get more car for your money from an individual and an individual gets more money for their car without consignment/seller fees.

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
Autotempest, nationwide search. Find the car, Only then decide if it’s too far to travel.

The exact car you want may be just outside of your area if you limit yourself.

·
Vendor
3,871 Posts
Autotempest, nationwide search. Find the car, Only then decide if it’s too far to travel.

The exact car you want may be just outside of your area if you limit yourself.
Such a good point, biggest mistake I commonly see made is people "settling" for whatever they can find local, instead of really casting a large net.

You could blow a couple thousand dollars in travel expenses driving or flying around finding/buying a car, and it'd be a drop in the bucket compared to what you save by obtaining a "good bones" car, and the "right" car (i.e. the car you were looking for).

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
The past ten years I have bought all my classics through CL, ebay, or stumbled on them at a swap meet or car show.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,639 Posts
My last one I stumbled upon at a local very large swap meet/car show. It was exactly what I wanted even though I wasn't there to buy a car nor even looking for one.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It also depends on the condition of the car. You will find cars on Craigslist which will never make it to the big "classic car" sites. Only if it is a very rare model.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I found mine looking on ebay - spent about 6 months looking. One requirement was that the car had to be located close enough to me that I could go over and inspect it.

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
join your local vintage car club. The members always have an INSIDER line on cars in your area, and usually someone in the club will know the history of any given classic car in the area, They almost always hear of cars that will be up sale before the ad is placed. It's very nice to be able to be the first one looking at a car with cash in hand.

Additionally, when club members sell one of their own cars, they will be among the best maintained cars you will find ANYWHERE, at any price.

Z

·
Registered
407 Posts
Aside from the obvious such as this very forum, Streetside Classics, Gateway Classic Cars, eBay and Craigslist ...

What are some other classic car sites to peruse for a Vintage Mustang (any condition, any price)?
Show and shines, car shows in small towns would be my first contact.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
My story is very similar to "GypsyR",...... My wife and i were on a 3 day getaway in July '84. On the last day, heading home I notice a large car show in a shopping center in Fairfax, Va. We stopped to see what was going on. Turned out to be a large contingent of Mustangs. There was an early cvt. in a for-sale area. $4k later and by August '84 it was setting in my driveway. What did i get myself into......before & After

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can't recommend SearchTempest enough...it lets you do nationwide search on CL. Put it your keywords and how far you want to search. Last week, my latest purchase was delivered, a 64.5 K code convertible. It arrived from Green Bay, car is a 2 owner car. Yes, it needs a lot of work but I was very happy with the price. Let your fingers do the searching...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't recommend SearchTempest enough...it lets you do nationwide search on CL. Put it your keywords and how far you want to search. Last week, my latest purchase was delivered, a 64.5 K code convertible. It arrived from Green Bay, car is a 2 owner car. Yes, it needs a lot of work but I was very happy with the price. Let your fingers do the searching...
Autotempest, nationwide search. Find the car, Only then decide if it’s too far to travel. The exact car you want may be just outside of your area if you limit yourself.

wow - i never heard of the “tempest” searches... pretty cool - thanks for that info! Now I need more time in the day to go through all those results!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts