Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I put a refurbished 83-84 mustang 5.0L 302 into my car. I put a Weiand stealth intake and a 600 cfm holley carb on it. We got the engine for cheap from Sacramento-Mustang because they had about 5 of them and wanted to get rid of them.

It wasn't very hard to install and we think we did everything right. When i first started driving it we didnt have the timing correct so it hesitated big time. We took it to a shop and got it so it ran better, and it did.

As of recently it just seems like its just plain weak. When i step on it from a stop it sounds like an explosion goes off in the carb and the car hella hesitates before going! Could this be the timing again?

I thought that these 5.0's were seriously mosters and they were very quick with very little upgrades. I don't see how my car could be such an exception of 5.0's being a great engine.

I really wish my car would be quicker and faster than it is now, or at least have something to keep up with my bro's 95 z28.....Do you guys have any good upgrades that would put more muscle into my car?? I'm going for more low end power than high end power. I would greatly apreciate it.

1965 Fireball Red Coupe
302 600cfm Holley w/ Weiand Stealth Intake

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
How's the pump shot on your Holley carb look? Is the arm tight to the pump lever when it's on the entrance ramp (throttle closed)?

What squirter does the carb have in it?

What happens if you nail it in high gear at 40mph or so?

Tell us about the rest of the combo from the engine back....

Great user name BTW...*G*

Edited to add...you actually got something cheap from Sac Mustang? wow!

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!

Lets start with the completely engine rundown....
302cid 5.0 liter
600 Cfm vaccum secondary electronic choke Holley carb
Pertronix Electronic ignition
Stock Heads, cam, lifters, rocker arms
C4 Transmisison, rebuilt last week
Stock exaust manifolds, flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers
Stock 8'' rear end

I think thats about it. Im not too sure how to answer those carb questions you asked me, im not too sure about carbs. When i punch it at around 40mph my automatic kickdown engages and my car hauls ass and gets extremely loud (good loud though).

Is there any way to rephrase the questions about my carb so that i could understand them a little easier. Thanks again!

1965 Fireball Red Coupe

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Wish you would've posted here before rebuilding the C4...I'd have recommended a shift kit and a 11"-2200 rpm stall converter...that would have helped your off-the-line performance a bunch...

Carb...see this pic for an example of the accelerator pump circuit in operation....check yours by opening the throttle while the engine is off....you should see a squirt as soon as you move the throttle

Look at the thing the gas is coming out of...it's hard to see with the choke plate in there but should have a number stamped on it...on the side...tell us what it is...

Make sure there isn't any slop in the arm that runs from the throttle linkage area to the accelerator pump, which is on the front fuel bowl bottom....the arm will have a little spring-loaded plunger where it contacts the pump lever....

Buy this book on Holley carbs...It's my bible...

There's nothing about them you won't be able to figure out then...

Good luck!

Pat

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,
I am thinking about a stall converter, about how much $$$ would one of those run me? Also, i have about an inch thick carb spacer on my intake, do you think that is hurting the low end power that much? I have seen the numbers of 83-84 302's and they aren't very good. About 200 horsepower stock. Maybe its just a really crappy engine that i got....later

1965 Fireball Red Coupe

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
One inch 4 hole spacer will help bottom end torque somewhat....

11" converter should run around 175-200.00
10" converter should run just a bit over 300.00

I use a TCI 10" Street Fighter in the race car....

Pat

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pat,
I saw your little comment about the shift kit and I think I will take you up on that before I get the tranny in the car. Lets see if I can afford a shift kit /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. I have a c4 that has already been rebuilt but I figured a shift kit couldnt hurt. I was looking seriously at the transgo shift kit as I have heard some good things about them. What do you think? The engine is a mildly built 302 if that matters. Thanks

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Yeah, the TransGo is a good choice...

I used a generic builder kit in my trannies because one of my buddies is a trans wholesale rebuilder...

Most of the gang I've talked to here who have used the TransGo are quite satisfied...

Good bang for the buck too...

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts