Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently purchased a fastback mustang that is in amazing original shape accept motor and trans are missing. I have a great deal on a 65 mercury marauder with an original 390 4 speed..I have did a lot of reading, but cannot find which 4 speed she came with and the guy that is selling it is not willing to climb under the car due to his age. The car isn't local to me but with it being a great price and she is running and driving I figured it would be cheaper to buy her then trying to piece all the drivetrain together that I need...if you could help I would appreciate it ..Supposedly he says that car is a 40k original mile car with a 390 4 speed manual and 9inch with 3.20 gears from the factory ...The car is great running shape but the body is shot...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Jgroce1985,
The trans will be a "top loader" BUT it will have the "long" Galaxie tail and output shaft. To change it , you will need a "Mustang" length tail shaft and tail shaft housing , have someone change it over for you. Then you need the correct Mustang shifter ( stock or aftermarket) and the driveshaft and you are in business. On the engine side , the heads will ONLY have the 8 bolt exhaust flange bolt pattern so you will have to change them to 14 or 16 bolt pattern heads with 390 GT manifolds OR use headers. Simple but costly in dollars and time.
Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts