Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 fastback (originally had a 4v 289) with a 72 2v 302. I replaced the alternator which was from the 72, matched the engione not the car. Now the voltage regulator is bad. Which regulator should I get, the one for a 65 (goes with all the wiring) or for the 72 (goes with the engine and alternator)?
Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I think you have to go with the 65 style to match the wiring, unless you want to re-wire. You should also be able to find an electronic style regulator versus the mechanical style. The electronic ones are probably less troublesome.

·
Premium Member
19,225 Posts
Functionally, they are identical. The electrical VR is not as tall.

For the original poster: the VR's are the same regardless of year from at least 65 through the late 70's.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,491 Posts
I prefer the electronic variety. I'm pretty sure they are a generic part. You'll find the same one in a truck as a Lincoln. The electronic ones fail too, but they aren't prone to doing odd things like varying the headlight brightness and points sticking occasionally. The electronic ones pretty much work or don't, no oddball problems. This helps simplify troubleshooting your electrical system if you need to.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
A little trick we use all the time when replacing the regulator. The mechanical ones are not as reliable as the electronic ones, but old car owner like "originality". Take the elec one and drill out the rivets and do the same for the mech cover. Use small brass bolts and put the cover over the elec one. Unless they look really closely, it will look original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts