Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get this engine finished up, but hit a little snag. Can someone please verify to me what width the STOCK 351W balancer was, in a '69 Mustang? It's crazy how many different answers you get when you call parts suppliers. I ordered a March pulley kit, and their alternator bracket to make it work, and it's designed to work with the engine in a stock configuration.

Another thing I get different reports on, is the water pump. I have a lower, drivers side inlet, which I believe to be correct, so I need timing marks at about the 10 o'clock position to make it work, along with a 4 bolt crank pulley. It needs to be an SFI balancer. Can someone help me out with how the stock 351W was set up in a Mustang?

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
There was only one 1969 351 balancer. Looks like this:

It should have provision for only the 3-bolt pulley, and there should be a lip around the center hole to line up the hole on the pulley.

Why should you need March brackets? Appearance? The stock 65-69 289/302 brackets were used on the 69 351W.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was only one 1969 351 balancer. Looks like this:

It should have provision for only the 3-bolt pulley, and there should be a lip around the center hole to line up the hole on the pulley.

Why should you need March brackets? Appearance? The stock 65-69 289/302 brackets were used on the 69 351W.
I called March directly, and they told me the only kit they have to fit my car requires a special alternator bracket to make it line up. I think my setup had been switched to a later model. I have a drivers side water pump inlet, and a 4 bolt crank pulley.

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
you have the 1970 & up 351W balancer,water pump,alternator bracket setup. you need a 4 bolt pulley setup and balancer for the 70. the 1969 351W was the only year that had the 289 style waterpump,balancer,pulley,bracket setup. the 351W uses a bracket bolted to the head for the top alt bolt. the 69 has a a different alt bracket from the 70-up. unless you want to change your alt bracket , water pump and radiator inlet to the passenger side you need the 1970-up stuff. if you havent installed the pulleys there should not be a problem exchanging them for the 70-up pulley set.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
i agree with supershifter.

i have the 69 setup on mine. passenger side inlet, 3-bolt pulley and timing pointer on the drivers side.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you have the 1970 & up 351W balancer,water pump,alternator bracket setup. you need a 4 bolt pulley setup and balancer for the 70. the 1969 351W was the only year that had the 289 style waterpump,balancer,pulley,bracket setup. the 351W uses a bracket bolted to the head for the top alt bolt. the 69 has a a different alt bracket from the 70-up. unless you want to change your alt bracket , water pump and radiator inlet to the passenger side you need the 1970-up stuff. if you havent installed the pulleys there should not be a problem exchanging them for the 70-up pulley set.
Thank you. Exactly what I was asking. I need a new balancer to make mine work. The kit I got from March requires the drivers side inlet pump, and a 4 bolt pulley, which is what I have. my alternator did bolt to the head, but their kit, requires their alternator bracket, so it should all work. All I need is a balancer. The only problem I have with that, is it could affect my bobweight sheet.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
how does a balancer have any effect on the bob weight?

i'm assuming you're zero balance? won't they just balance it and make sure it's zero?

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
The balancer should have the same offset weight regardless. Frankly, I'd go with all the stock 69 stuff, which is available new. Well, the crank pulley might be tricky, but doable.

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
some engine shops will balance the assymble with the balancer and flywheel on the crank. if this is the case and you need to replace a flywheel or balancer the "entire" rotating assymbly (not rods or pistons) has to be rebalanced. its not the best way to balance but its done. if you "detroit" balance it have them do to factory specs without the balancer and flywheel. i prefer ZERO balance on everthing. it cost a few hundred dollars more for the mallory metal but if you need to change a balancer or flywheel you dont need to rebalance. i buy ZERO balance flywheels and balancers. i learned about this the hard and expensive way.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The balancer should have the same offset weight regardless. Frankly, I'd go with all the stock 69 stuff, which is available new. Well, the crank pulley might be tricky, but doable.
Saying they "should" have the same offset weight, is like saying when you buy a new stroker kit from Eagle, all the parts "should" be right, and you can just install it and run it. It just doesn't work that way. All parts need a little fine tuning, especially when they're going 7000 RPMs.

They took by old balancer, and spun it on then crank balancer, and matched the new balancer to make it the same.

My car had already been switched to the later model setup, so to go with all the stock '69 stuff, I'd had to buy a new radiator, water pump, and timing pointer, or I can keep it the way it is, and have the builder swap me a balancer for free. Seems like a no brainer to me, especially when I gain nothing by switching back to a '69 setup.

·
Registered
35,825 Posts
My car had already been switched to the later model setup, so to go with all the stock '69 stuff, I'd had to buy a new radiator, water pump, and timing pointer, or I can keep it the way it is, and have the builder swap me a balancer for free. Seems like a no brainer to me, especially when I gain nothing by switching back to a '69 setup.
Well, color me confused. Why do you even care what the width of the 69 balancer is, then?

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, color me confused. Why do you even care what the width of the 69 balancer is, then?
The confusion comes from my original thought, that the drivers side inlet was stock on a '69. Had I known that was incorrect, I would have asked about a '70 balancer. supershifter filled in the blanks with his first response, and from there, I knew what I needed.
I'm trying to get this engine finished up, but hit a little snag. Can someone please verify to me what width the STOCK 351W balancer was, in a '69 Mustang? It's crazy how many different answers you get when you call parts suppliers. I ordered a March pulley kit, and their alternator bracket to make it work, and it's designed to work with the engine in a stock configuration.

Another thing I get different reports on, is the water pump. I have a lower, drivers side inlet, which I believe to be correct, so I need timing marks at about the 10 o'clock position to make it work, along with a 4 bolt crank pulley. It needs to be an SFI balancer. Can someone help me out with how the stock 351W was set up in a Mustang?

·
Registered
222 Posts
'69 vs '70 Windsor set-up

I am having the same problems with my '69 Windsor. I have been talking to March as well. My water pump has the bottom driver side hose, as does my radiator. It is also complicated by the position of the Unisteer steering pump. I have to mount the alternator (GM type) on the passenger side and high. Can you post or send me some photos of how everything fits when you are complete? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am having the same problems with my '69 Windsor. I have been talking to March as well. My water pump has the bottom driver side hose, as does my radiator. It is also complicated by the position of the Unisteer steering pump. I have to mount the alternator (GM type) on the passenger side and high. Can you post or send me some photos of how everything fits when you are complete? Thanks.
Sure. I spoke with Jeff at March, and he said that as long as the balancer is the stock width, and the water pump is the stock depth, that the pulley kit, and alternator bracket would work, with a lower, drivers side inlet water pump.

Pulley kit - 1645
Alternator bracket - 30395

1 - 14 of 14 Posts