Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there!

I've got a problem, where I need your advice: I've still got the original brake system in my car (front: power disc, rear: large drums, all original raybestos stuff for the 70 mach1). My original distribution block is leaking (at the warning light switch). Would you recommend buying an original reproduction part or would you get an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve? I've already installed new stainless brake lines, so i would need something, that fit's without changing the brake lines.

What parts would you recommend me?

Thanx,
Stefan

btw: here's a vid of my car with the brand new magnaflow exhaust:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-UGmxOnzA
(i just finished the 1,5 year lasting restoration!)

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,384 Posts
Stefan,

There is a difference between the proportioning valve and distribution block. The proportioning valve is plumbed into the rear line and is designed to increase or decrease the rear brake pressure. A distribution block splits the line coming from the master cylinder for the front brakes into 2 lines, 1 for the front left and 1 for the front right.

There are a few versions of either out there. Proportioning valves start at around US$40 and you can buy a non-stock distribution 'T' for US$10 or so up to stock replacements with idiot lights and then this cool new device from Stainless Steel Brakes - http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/products/detail/5490/?make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=1966

Edit - Just noticed upon re-reading your original post you said stainless lines. Ugh, those are a pain to modify away from the stock location. If you don't want to re-bend those then you are much better off buying stock components. Still, without some serious tools for cutting and flaring the stainless lines it would be difficult installing the proportioning valve into the rear line. I scraped all the stainless lines around the master cylinder and bent my own to where I needed it from regular lines.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi!

thanx for the fast response. the ssbc item would be exacltly, what i am looking for. but as you said, i am afraid i would have to re-bend the lines.... this would suck. does anyone know an item which replaces the original distributor block and has the same connections like the stock distributor? something like "plug&play"??

thanx!

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I have that part. I love that part. Clean, simple, and very easy to plumb.

I didnt reuse my stainless lines. I did strip off the coils and put the coils on the new lines I bent up, but I didnt reuse the old ones. Looks great... I need to dig out some pictures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used 86 Mustang Fox body.proportioning valve and
distributon block combo, worked great just had to
change mounts on assembly, no problem. Bought new
lines for MC, as I was using powewr booster and MC
from 89 Fox. One end has metric bubble fitting for the MC, other regular inverted flare. $40 for both. Covered them with stainless braid an shrink tubing at each end.It even has the warning light connection on it. On a 69 FB.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
CantedValve said:
I have that part. I love that part. Clean, simple, and very easy to plumb.

I didnt reuse my stainless lines. I did strip off the coils and put the coils on the new lines I bent up, but I didnt reuse the old ones. Looks great... I need to dig out some pictures.

Please do, I would like to see. I am going to pull the engine in a few weeks and I think I will be replacing my valve and block with that SSBC piece.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts