Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get rid of PO front disc installation and replace with something better.

Wilwood or Baer???? Or...???

What say ya'll???

·
Spammer Hammer
9,546 Posts
OEM Kelsey Hayes front discs with Porterfield R4S pads.

If you still fill the need to stop better add a 11” x 2 1/4” rear drum kit.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I personally would not go for the most often used brake system, but for the one which fits YOUR needs best.

To get answers you should provide more information. How is your driving style and what is your goal? Do you have a budget?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I used Mustang Steve 2008 GT adapter plates on my car. I autocross my car and wanted non commie parts as much as possible to do so. With research was able to get it done using factory caliper cores and EBC rotors and pads. The most favored nation reproductions of the original Kelsey Hayes front disks will get it done for the street. The factory rear drums are more than adequate for anything but high MPH track days.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Nice, that drum brake kit might be just what I’m looking for.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,546 Posts
FWIW, The brakes I posted held up just fine all last year at the track. I did have front brake cooling ducts and R4 pads. However, you always need more brakes regardless of what you do.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
PO or POS brakes? Either way almost anything should be able to stop your car safely and without drama. If you can't make that happen or figure out why they won't then a name brand ain't gonna really be "better" or help much.:geek:

·
Super Moderator
9,588 Posts
You shouldn’t Cheap out on brakes,.....,,

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Looking to get rid of PO front disc installation and replace with something better.

What say ya'll???
Like what has already been mentioned..... what kind of driving are YOU going to do with the car?
What'on the car up front right now?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: rbohm

·
Registered
2,791 Posts

What say ya'll???
I just put the wilwood 13" 6 caliper discs on my 65 FB. I also installed a Wilwood master cylinder. I did not use a 1" MC although everyone and their brother recommends the 1". I used a 15/16" Wilwood MC and I could have used a 7/8". The brake pedal travel is not that much even with the 15/16 MC and the pedal stops way above the floorboard. I've had experience with 1" MCs without power assist and they require more leg force than I like. The 6 piston Wilwood calipers have just about the same piston area as the Kelsey Hayes I took off so they really don't warrant a 1" MC. The 6 piston calipers have one large piston and two smaller trailing pistons. I might have considered a 1" if I were putting 4 piston discs on the back also which would have had more area than the Granada drum pistons have, but I still may have used a smaller MC. I have the Kelsey Hayes 11" setup complete if want to buy it for $300 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
Another vote here for OEM type KH brakes with high quality semi-metallic non-ceramic pads.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like what has already been mentioned..... what kind of driving are YOU going to do with the car?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
The plan is to have a nice weekend driver, maybe a couple cruise-ins and/or local shows. The car will have a little more zip than normal but nothing outrageous. Could be some extended road trips with the wife and pooch. It will have completely new suspension and steering linkages. It currently has disc on the front now (PO executed) but I have no idea what brand or reliability. It stopped ok before I began the tear down but man was it ugly looking (see photo). When I get it back on the road I want it to have great stopping power and look good as well.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,546 Posts
You have all you need. If the caliper bores are good you can rebuild them. I would just buy new from NPD. Easy. Get new rotors bearings and seals. Replace the rubber lines with stainless braided flex lines. Get a dual bowl MC and some Porterfield R4S pads. You will be good to go...or stop.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Factory original!

cant really go wrong with the factory style brakes. a nice pad upgrade, perhaps upgrade the rear drums, etc.

I personally would not go for the most often used brake system, but for the one which fits YOUR needs best.

To get answers you should provide more information. How is your driving style and what is your goal? Do you have a budget?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
these guys just gave you great advice. the factory style brakes will do for most driving regimes. remember that shelby even used the KH brakes for his race cars, so they flat work.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is that old original 2 piece rotors? If, then they might be worth money among the concours guys. It seems your are actually looking for some big rotor, red caliper brakes that look fancy, but what you got are more than adequate for you needs, It probably just need some cleaning and a little paint.
Like I mentioned earlier I don't know what's on there just that they are not original. Some PO swapped out the original drum for this setup.

I do like this idea...everything I need including dual bowl MC (I have single now)...Ford Kelsey-Hayes Type 4 Piston Caliper Manual Disc Brake Kit V8 - Manual or Power

1 - 20 of 40 Posts