Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm constantly changing my mind whether to the Edelbrock, Demon, or Holley. Right now I'm really tempted to get the Holley 670 CFM (part # 0-80670). I'm going with the Weiand Stealth Intake manifold (#7517). So what do you guys think? My 'Stang has a 351C 2bbl. but I'm going to make it into a 4bbl. Its a daily driver, but I still want as much HP and Torque as possible. Thanks.

-Art Nuñez

G

·
0 Posts
The Weiend #7515 is a single plane manifold for 4 barrel heads only, it will not work on 2 barrel heads. I beleive the only manifolds for 2 to 4 barrel conversion are the edlebrock performer and the offy. The 670cfm holley could be a bit much if you are running a stock cam.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think the Edelbrock/Holley debate is much like the Ford/Chevy debate. I had a 600cfm Holley on a 351 and it was great out of the box. Never had any problems, think I only adjusted it twice in two years. Had a new Edelbrock on a 302 and it was nothing but problems. Called the tech line and they treated me like I was some kind of *sshole. Then I used their tech on the net and never received an answer. I will never have anything to do with Edelbrock again. BTW, I would suggest a smaller cfm than the one you are thinking about. I think you will have better performance with something around 600.

·
Administrator
19,296 Posts
I'll try passing on what I have observed in general and on the VMF. If you want the best performance and don't mind having to tune and occasionally tweak the carb, a Holley is a good bet. They do seem to like attention though.
If you're not real big on carb tuning, the Edelbrock is the better choice to "bolt on and go". It doesn't give up much performance to the Holley and seems to require little attention.
I haven't really seem enough info on the the Demon series to offer an opinion, nor have I personally messed with one.
No matter which carb you ask about you'll find people who love them and people who'd rather slam dunk them into a concrete floor. The Demons seem to be no exception to this.
No matter which you choose, I too think you'll be happier with 600cfm for a regular driver with the occasional stoplight fun .
Personally I'm very fond of the Stealth in a driver.
Just my humble opinions, I'm not C. Shelby or anything.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
OK... I'll go through this step by step, otherwise I'll confuse both you and myself *g*...

Weiand, despite what their ghetto catalog says (and I work at a speed shop, they print the same damn typo in EVERY catalog) ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT make a Steath dual plane manifold for the 351C. It does for the M and the 400, but not the C.

They do, however, make a X-CELerator for both the 4V (7517) and the 2V (7516) heads. If you have 2V's and are DEAD SET on the Weiand, you need the latter. HOWEVER. What cam are you planning on using? The specs they print on the X-CELerator are bunk, I've asked Holley about it... If you're planning on staying below 6k RPM, get the Edelbrock Performer; the Weiand is gonna make a boggy mess of your lower end (even with the plenum divider, it won't start pulling till about 2 or 2.5k and top out at 6.5k, TOO high with a stock or a mild performance cam. Without the divider... Lets just say it starts high and tops out REALLY high).

As far as carbs... Up to about 6k with a mild cam, a 600cfm carb is plenty for a C w/ 2V heads. I don't buy into Demons or Street Avengers, not enough bang for the buck in comparsion to the standard Holley/Edelbrock. I have a Performer manifold/600cfm Edel. carb combo now, and when my motor was a bit milder it was just perfect, but the more extreme I get the more I need; in the near future I'll run a X-CELerator with the divider and a 3310 Holley 750cfm, the earlier combo just isn't enough anymore. I don't like the 600cfm Holley carb. I have one, a 1850. Don't like it, crossover tubes blow. I like the 600cfm Edelbrock, but I'm going with the Holley in the future so I can dial it in EXACTLY where I want/need it.

If you're staying with a mild cam, a small numeric gear (below 3.50), and a big converter (11" or larger), and don't plan on doing any over 6k blasts, the Performer/600cfm is a hard combo to beat. It's just about the best you can do for a daily driver/street driven car that needs a nice midrange grunt. If you're doing a car like mind, more of the weekend warrior/scare your date sorta car, the Weiand and a 750 is what I'm going w/.

Sweet Jesus. I'm longwinded! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If you were going to stick with the 2v setup I'd say a 600. Knowing that a 4v is in the future go with the 670.I don't care what other people say a 600 is not enough for even a mild build on a 4v. I run a 780 on my 4v and a middle range cam and still get over 350 flywheel horse power with every thing else factory including exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sticking with the original cams for now. So, if that helps narrow down the selection. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I'll go against the grain here...How about a 1.12 Autolite 4100 ? They are rated at 600 cfm, and as rebuilt by Pony Carbs can deliver good performance with minimal tuning and upkeep. Dickson

1 - 11 of 11 Posts