Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my rottisserie built and I started pressure washing the years of dirt, oil and grime. I have probably one more weekend of cleaning on the ole coupe, but I need to know what comes next? I have four spots on the floor pans that need to be fixed, so I am just going to do a full floor pan. I have weighed the about of patch work and welding it would take to do just a patch and I figured it would be better just to do a full pan. The front frame rails where the bumpers mount need to be replaced and the rear extentions on the front frame rails are all dinged up from years of putting jacks or whatever the previous owners did. The rear frame railes aren't really bad but I do have to replace the passenger side due to a wreck the car had been in and no one really fixed it the right way. I will have to replace the tail light panel due to the wreck and and all the bondo, whoever did it goobered it all up! Then the floor pan in the trunk on the passenger side and the passenger side quarter panel needs to be replaced.
I guess basically what I need to know is what order do I need to do all of this, or does it matter what order. Originally I was going to put the floor pan in first, but now that I have the car on the rottisserie and can see things better I am thinking about the frame rails. Does it really matter or is there a specific order to due things in?

Thanks,

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
Do the structural stuff first, and do the worst thing first.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
22GT, If I am reading you right, I should do the frame rails first, the floor pans second and then body panels?

This is what I was starting to lean towards anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As of now I have the car on the rottisserie, completely gutted. When I go to replace the frame rails and floor pans, do I need to have the doors back on it, or will it be fine without them on it?

·
Registered
637 Posts
As of now I have the car on the rottisserie, completely gutted. When I go to replace the frame rails and floor pans, do I need to have the doors back on it, or will it be fine without them on it?
Assuming it's a coupe, you should be fine with the doors off. Just do one side at a time, don't go cutting the whole bottom of the car out.

Be careful, take measurements, go slow, measure, go slow, and take your time by being careful, going slow, and taking measurements. :)

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
Do one thing at a time, even if it's one BIG thing. If the rails are worst, do them first. If it's a front or rear rail, it's best to do that before the car goes on the rotisserie.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I would start with the floor pan, NOT welding the frame rails to it obviously if you are going to change them. Then do the frame rails one at a time. Does your rotissery mount to the front frame rail? If so, put on stands and do them one at a time too.
Your car sounds like mine was. But 11 years ago 1 piece floor pans were not available. So mine looked like a jig saw puzzle. But once you have the pan out of the way, you can hammer and dolly the dents out of the rails and not need to change them just because of dents. I straightened mine out easily.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Assuming it's a coupe, you should be fine with the doors off. Just do one side at a time, don't go cutting the whole bottom of the car out.

Be careful, take measurements, go slow, measure, go slow, and take your time by being careful, going slow, and taking measurements. :)
It's a coupe, and I will be doing a one piece floor pan, so unfortenately I will be cutting the whole bottom of the car out.

Any suggestions...

·
Registered
637 Posts
What I meant by 'cutting the whole bottom of the car out' was not cutting the rails AND floors all in one shot. Sorry I should have been more clear.

I'd follow ScottsGT/22GT's advice and do the rails, one side at a time, followed by a complete replacement of the floor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys, I have started taking out the frame rails. I started with the front drivers side. The floor support section on the rear is shot so I have ordered that, with a little of that rust bleeding onto where it overlaps the main frame rail section, and the front section where the bumper mounts up to it was also shot. So I just went ahead and ordered a complete front frame rail with new floor support.

The car is on the rotisserie, completely stripped and I have if on its side, drivers side down. I have the car mounted on the rotisserie at the front bumper mounting locations, though I had to thru bolt it do the damage by rust, and the rear bumper mounting locations.

I have just started removing the spot welds and I am wondering what else I can do to brace the car up when I remove the whole frame rail. I will have to remove the rotisserie mounting location at this frame rail to remove and reinstall the new one.

What else can I do to make sure the body is safe, sturdy and doesn't move during this transition?

Any advice or pictures of how you did it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I don't know If I'd remove the entire rail while it's on the spinner, I think I would prefer to use a table with a few fixture pin locations that match the drawing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know If I'd remove the entire rail while it's on the spinner, I think I would prefer to use a table with a few fixture pin locations that match the drawing.
Fstbl,

You lost me with the fixture pin locations and drawings, what do you mean?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I were you, the first thing I would do is take as many measurements as possible to make sure that when it all goes back together it is correct and square.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fstbk,

Thanks I understand now. I have taken some measurements so far. But I will take more.

Still want to know about the bracing and if it is possible while on the rotisserie?

Thanks,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the drivers side floor support off, there sure is alot of spot welds to grind off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts