Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that there are 2 Ford Gold paints available that are supposed to be correct for my valve covers and air filter. I've read that one is a "softer gold" and the other is "bronze like". My VIN says it was assembled in May 1965 in Dearborn, MI. I know that not all assembly plants did exactly the same nor used exactly the same parts during assembly, which could explain it, as well as whether it was an early or later build. Would May 65 be considered a later build?

The Ford Gold spray can I bought from NPD a couple years ago is Seymour High Tech EN-50 and looks GOLD and I think more like my original color....softer?? The can I just got from NPD is Seymour Spray Match AP-EGC and looks more bronze, BUT is supposed to be Concours correct , though it does not look the my original. I try to keep the car as original as possible, and Concours when possible on the more obvious things, but am not anal about it. I would just like to be as correct as possible on this one because the covers and filter are so obvious.

Can someone explain?

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
May of '65 would be "late build" as they had already been making Mustangs for 15 months and '65 production would be over at the end of July. I have also seen the two shades of gold and always thought the "bronzish" gold was an FE engine color.

·
Registered
36,468 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The article 22GT refers to is the one I read and what made me question colors. The picture of the filter cover in the article does look more bronze-like and is probably correct, and more like the can I just bought....the Seymour AP-EGC. My cover was very worn when I painted it and I'm going to assume the brighter 'gold' I used is not correct. I will redo with the AP-EGC. I think my problem is solved.
Thanks for your input.....much appreciated.
Stay safe out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts