Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using an aftermarket timing chain cover (Pioneer), which has a staright thru bore for the crankshaft seal, unlike the stock covers which have a stepped bore against which the seal seats.
The seal has two "sides", one with a spring around the circumference and the other side is what I would call the "lip".
My stock seal was installed with the spring side towards the engine.
Reid's book says to install the seal with the lip towards the engine.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,614 Posts
Rule of thumb is that end of the seal with the "garter spring" on it goes towards the oil.
That said, I have a 65 or so timing cover right now with lip. If I used the seal from the Fel-Pro kit I just got, the seal would be backwards if it would go into at all. I'm sure I have some sort of parts mismatch happening. The later style-usual-seals knock in from the outside of the cover. I'm going to have another look at what I'm dealing with this evening. I have a few other covers around to compare to.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gypsy.

I had a heck of time finding a seal. None of the usual suspects (summit, Jegs, etc.) had anything. Pioneer didn;t answer my emails.....no shock there.
I found a size chart for National Seal, which had a p/n for the correct shaft and O.D., which i bought through Amazon. Looking again on the internet just now, it looks like National Seal is a Chinese manufacturer which gives me some pause, however, on the seal that I have appears the "FOMOCO" part number on the rubber seal itself. How the hell does that work!
This National Seal p/n 2692, has a 1/4" flange around the perimeter, so it can really only go in from the outside of the cover, which would put the garter spring towards the oil, as you mentioned.

·
Just some guy
20,614 Posts
Strange, the flanged National 2692 should be on hand at any local parts store as it is THE timing cover seal for small block Fords. If you buy the Fel-Pro timing cover gasket kit as I did one would be included in it. I find it amusing that you can buy the whole kit for like a dollar more than just that one seal.
I've never had any trouble with National seals, in fact National is the number one seal used to cross reference others against.

·
Just some guy
20,614 Posts
To follow up, I got the right seal for the '65 cover in the box. It's backwards though. No flange on the seal, it looks like one BryanCobb pictured above. AND it has to be installed from the inside of the cover. Plus you have to beat it in with a driver by the sharp edged side. Annoying. This is 1965 cover-

More what I'm used to seeing and what KO is dealing with is this 1979 cover here

Lots easier to install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts