Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a set of jack stands similar to the first photo (looking to get a second set this weekend), but my dad always had stands like the second picture (not many places carry this type), and to be honest they seem a lot more sturdy than what I have. I was just curious what everyone else prefered.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/144874_lg.gif
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/144480_lg.gif

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have a set of each and if I am not using both sets I will reach for the ratchet stand first.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
They are both safe, but the first are a bit more adjustable.

John Harvey

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I use the top ones, I always make sure they are locked in place but I agree I have thought of them slipping.

The key is get them where you want them, make sure the lever is engaged. Lower the car and give it a good shake, then get under the car!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a set of 4 like the bottom and have 2 like the top, looking for 2 more. Sears have been sold out. Anyway I like the top ones better.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Call me paranoid! I wouldn't use the top type if they were free!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gonna have to do some shopping around i everyone likes the top ones better. I know the set I do have was a cheap set I picked up somewhere, maybe there are higher quality ones that are more sturdy. Ihave never had any problems with them, i just always felt more comfortable with the other style. thanks for all the input.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Top. I still throw a floor jack somewhere JIC

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,705 Posts
The second set look pretty well made but I have seen some of that design that have been scary flimsy.
At any rate I much prefer the rachet type. Folks who haven't used them often dont realize that when the weight of the car is on them there is about no way possible to release that ratchet. It's only just possible with a 5 foot prybar but you'll bend heck out of the steel release handle. (Ever tried to get a car off stands with no jack? Don't ask. Please)
The ratchet types adjust easily. Just jack up the car, slap the stand underneath, and pull the ratchet up to the height you want. No fiddling with pins. I put different color paint marks on the teeth of mine so I can tell at a glance where to set a stand to match the other one, two, or three.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Any one know where to buy screw jacks? fully adjustable. Would be great for leveling the car to factory specs.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Top ones, for all the reasons - 1 above.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have used both types also. I much prefer the easy way the ratchet adjust for initial placement. Mine are a pretty stout set and I have never worried about the car falling. What ever you get, look for the strength in the construction as that will protect you while under the car.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I use the tops ones as well. But also leave a jack somewhere under there as well, just in case.

I like the look of the second style better, but have only seen them in really cheap versions.

·
Administrator
19,526 Posts
I use the top set, too. Since I've been working under the fastback and it has no rear tires and no room to keep the jack under there, I made sure those jacks wouldn't release. With the car's weight on them, they're not going anywhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also use the top ones, but I got them from sam's club. they have a lock key to hold them in place when you get them where you want them. They are chrome and blue with a good year sticker on them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts