Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a line on a 1967 coupe with just body and the 8 cylinder suspension upgrade. Missing drivetrain and all interior.

My head is swirling with specs and other details. I would greatly appreciate some guidance from those who are in the know. I don't want to break the bank on over the top add-ons -- not going to race it.

What year 302 to get if I want roller camshaft and roller tappets? Recommendations on a reputable source for the long block?

What about headers?

Can I use a standard driveshaft (off of what?), or with the 302 and a AODE am I going to have to get one made?

Is fuel injection worth the extra cost? So far I'm looking at Holley fuel injection (Sniper with Hyperspark EFI and coil ignition), and a AODE from 1998 or newer. Is there anything more reliable or worthwhile I should consider?

What am I missing, aside form disc brake conversions, new brake booster / master cylinder, air conditioning, and power steering?

Many thanks for any guidance I may receive. Hoping to narrow my focus and get on the right path...

·
Registered
1966 Coupe-289-3sp-No A/C
206 Posts
Got a line on a 1967 coupe with just body and the 8 cylinder suspension upgrade. Missing drivetrain and all interior.

My head is swirling with specs and other details. I would greatly appreciate some guidance from those who are in the know. I don't want to break the bank on over the top add-ons -- not going to race it.

What year 302 to get if I want roller camshaft and roller tappets? Recommendations on a reputable source for the long block?

What about headers?

Can I use a standard driveshaft (off of what?), or with the 302 and a AODE am I going to have to get one made?

Is fuel injection worth the extra cost? So far I'm looking at Holley fuel injection (Sniper with Hyperspark EFI and coil ignition), and a AODE from 1998 or newer. Is there anything more reliable or worthwhile I should consider?

What am I missing, aside form disc brake conversions, new brake booster / master cylinder, air conditioning, and power steering?

Many thanks for any guidance I may receive. Hoping to narrow my focus and get on the right path...
Good choice on roller block, stay away from flat tappet if you can...

·
Registered
36,978 Posts

What sort of driving do you intend? Car shows, cruise night, cross-country vacations? Do you live in the city or country?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Thank you. I'd imagine with the explorer being a towing SUV, that the air intake and camshaft lobes are going to be very different than a performance 5.0. No?
You’re only using the block. You’d replace the intake and cam anyways.

1985 and after the 5.0’s went to roller block.

You do not need fuel injection.

You do not need a power brake booster, or power anything for that matter.

Just to give you an example, I have a 5.0 in my 67 with a Weiand Stealth aluminum intake, GT40 heads, an Edelbrock rollin thunder cam, Patriot ceramic tri-y headers, Pertronix flamethrower 2 distributor and coil, Holley 600 carb, hyper pistons, Scorpion full roller rockers, KH manual front discs, manual steering, 2.25” dual exhaust with Dronemaster Delta 40’s (hate them).

C4 transmission and 3.55 traclock rear end.

My regret is that I didn’t do overdrive so I might add a gear vendors overdrive tail shaft to the C4.

And after all that I drive it 200 miles a year. It’s kind of dumb. I think a lot of people feel they need this amazing engine build and then don’t actually end up utilizing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts