Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordering new pipes this week for my '67 289 convertible.

Which header/exhaust combo do you guys recommend and from who? Looking for something throaty but not overkill. Something classy.

I need some help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
You got lots of options. If you want something classic you can go with shelby Try-ys. Hooker IMO is good source. Different options for different power levels. Not very expensive for the lower power series. hedman is another... Whatever you do I highly recommend longtubes. Flowmaster IMO makes the best sounding mufflers especially for the money. I think their main advertising slogan is "that classic muscle car sound." Flowmaster 40 series However from what I hear they do not flow the best. Headers with a 1 3/4" primary's and 2.5 collector should be all you need. 2.25" piping before or after the x-pipe that you should buy will do the trick.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use jba shorty's (14 gauge with ball socket connections that do not leak) and 2.5" exhaust with magnaflows. I get compliments all the time on the exhaust note.... they do not drone at cruise speeds like the flowmasters (dronemasters). I had a set of super 44's and could not get them off the car fast enough. Unless you are running 500 hp 1 5/8 with 2.5 inch pipes is still overkill.... you don't want 1 3/4 primaries. Since it is a vert I am guessing you want a mild tone to enjoy cruising in which the magnaflows will provide.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I saw a thread awhile back on this subject and the sound of the car I liked the most was a guy who put on tri-Y's and glass packs. It sounded great and I bet it wasn't very expensive. Do a search on tri-y's and you can probably find it. There was a sound clip from him in that thread. I may be able to find it if you can't.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'm also using the JBA mid length headers. I believe the part number is 1650SJS. They are very nice. I also had dronemasters and ditched them for Dynomax Ultraflo which is similar to Magnaflow, but sounds a bit more aggressive. My piping is 2.5, but 2.25 is plenty for stock or mild small blocks. I have an H pipe. It sounds nearly perfect.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

What do you think of this kit from CJPony? part #EXK2G

It's all 2-1/4 with Petronix Tri-y headers?

Like I said before, not looking for anything crazy, I'm just replacing the stock single system...

·
Registered
65 Posts
HI! for what it's worth I've been driving my 2bbl with single exhaust 289 '68 coupe for over 30 years and recently swapped to repro - HI-PO cast manifolds and 'stock' GT.350 dual system from CJ Pony Parts - The new system DEFINATELY improved the enjoyment of the car - performance, tune etc. Why cast manifolds? Simply because I'm not a fan of headers - for many reasons. Cast was good enough for K-Codes and GT 350's so I'm in good company. You did mention classy without overkill - Good Luck with your selection!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hedman shorty's (for my power steering) with a x pipe connected to some walker super turbos 2.25 all the way out on my 68.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts