Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have advice or experience with good fiiting brand of headers for a 69 mach 1 390 4-speed. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Headers

I beleive the Hooker 6114 headers are a good option depending on which style head you are running. If you have the 14-bolt GT heads they will not fit without modification. They are designed to fit the standard 8 & 16-bolt CJ heads. Some recommend JBA Headers, but I am not as familiar with those.

Here's a link to the JBA's. I'm sure someone else with direct knowledge will chime in.
http://www.jbaheaders.com/tech_articles/6656tech.asp

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have FPA headers on my 69 with a 428 CJ. There is a difference in exhaust port size or location between the 14 bolt GT head and the 16 bolt CJ head and FPA wants to know what heads you have so you get the right header. Headers fit fine, I bolted them on the motor and dropped the whole package in with the transmission attached. I have a C6 and do not have power steering.

Jim V
69Chop1

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
I've never personally installed them, but I've heard nothing but praise for the JBA Tri-Y. They better be good, for the price.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think i have the hooker headers, Got them back in 84. The last tube on driver side pulls out so you can put the linkage for the clutch through. Not sure if new ones do this as well or I have an old set. maybe 22GT can elaborate.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Something to add to my orginal post about JBA headers. I have put over 15,000 miles on them and no exhaust leaks. They are the Tri-Y style.

Jim V
69Chop1

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I have FPA headers on my 427 also. They fit and look great but I have a hydraulic clutch. I think the Z-bar will be an issue with any header unless you can find a set like Fordman9870 has.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I think the only headers that will properly fit the port are FPA's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed FPA headers on my 69 390 last fall before I dropped the motor in. Look for post "Headers for 390" where I listed about a dozen things I had to do to get them to fit. Tight fit. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the input! I did fail to mention that I am building a stroker motor with Edelbrock Aluminum heads..... Kind of a resto mod.. Since the car did not come with power steering I thought about going with rack and pinion. I don't imagine that it would be to fun to drive with manual steering. Any thoughths out there????
Thanks

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
I drove my manual steering every day 25 years with manual steering. Unless you parallel park a lot, you really don't need it. I have 4-turn steering, and for 15 years I also had the Shelby quick steer arms.

Do you have a 4- turn or 5-turn?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have a 4-speed with a Z-bar and edelbrock heads and use the Hooker 6114 with no issues at all. I did have to clear my blow proof bell housing but I doubt you would have to do anything to a stock bellhousing.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Usually the Hookers have less ground clearance than the FPAs. If your car is lowered it can be a real problem.

Make sure to get them ceramic coated. Helps to keep the heat out of the engine compartment which is a big deal on big block cars.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The Edelbrock heads will be able to use the 6114 Hooker headers, of FPA's that are made for the CJ exhaust port location.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts