Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. I have a 66 c-code with a 289 that seems to be original. However, the intake manifold was changed to an a-code/hipo intake and Edelbrock 1406. I want to remove the intake to clean it up and paint it. I am assuming I need the hipo intake manifold gasket but want to confirm this before I order a set. So, do I need the hipo gasket or the regular gasket?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,222 Posts
There’s no difference. The difference between the K code motor and the A&C code has more to do with high rpm durability. The K code head would have beefier valve spring pockets and screw in rocker arm studs. The intake, exhaust ports and valves are identical as well as the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s no difference. The difference between the K code motor and the A&C code has more to do with high rpm durability. The K code head would have beefier valve spring pockets and screw in rocker arm studs. The intake, exhaust ports and valves are identical as well as the combustion chamber.
That's what I thought but then I saw some gaskets listed as not for HiPo or Boss. Thought maybe I missed something. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think the only difference between HIPO and standard 4V is the HIPO gasket has no opening in the center for the heat riser. (I guess you call it a Heat riser) I bought a set of HIPOs from Rock auto and it had no opening in the center, No putting that plug or piece of gasket in, That they give you.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Bill , I think this is a case of semantics. In this scenario high performance refers to "higher performance" or ported heads , not "289 high performance". Just as Huskinhano said there is NO difference in the size of the port openings or valve sizes between a "low performance head" anf the K code heads. ALL production intake gaskets for the 289's had openings for the heat riser. "Aftermarket" racing intake gaskets (at first) had thin metal plates that were used to block off the heat riser. Modern performance intake gaskets are simply blank ( no hole) in that area. Performance gaskets are not needed on non ported heads , there is no advantage at all.
Randy

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered standard intake and 4v carb gaskets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts