Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two sets of heads, one set is the factory E7 casting and the second set is 69 351 W heads. If I have the E7s ported are they as good as the 351 W heads? or should I have the 351 heads done and put the E7s away for another project?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The '69 heads will probably have bigger valves and runners, but also bigger combustion chambers. If the combustion chambers are about the same, I'd go with the Windsors. If there's a significant difference, though, it'll probably be a wash.

The Windsor heads will be positive stop rockers, and the E7 would probaby pedestal mount. Neither are particularly attractive from a performance standpoint, but the pedestal mount are probably more durable.

·
Registered
21,090 Posts
I think a big key is what are you going to be using them on/for? And since you're pretty much a hands on guy, how much work would you do or farm out? My feeling is that a stock heads with some porting are fine for the street but just the cost of rebuilding a stock head will put you pretty close to a set of aluminum heads.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you go with the 69 351 heads, you will need either the step washers or the stepped head bolts. Figure roughly $50 or $100 respectively. The 351 heads have 60.4 cc chambers. Not sure what the E7 chambers are, but probably larger, due to being late(r) model heads. If you port the 351 heads yourself, and leave the valves stock, they will flow pretty well, and it will cost you very little. The E7's could be made to flow well, but you would have to upgrade the valves, and now your getting into some money. I would run the 351's doing the port work yourself, and get a valve job done if needed. The 351's, if they haven't been updated, will not have the hardened seats, but many have run them for quite some time without a problem. If you are going to have a set professionally done, have Powerheads do them on their CNC machine. For this price, you are entering aluminum head territory. However, not everyone wants or needs aluminum heads, there are pluses and minuses to either. Here is a great link to Ford head flow charts, which may help you decide, just remember the chamber sizes will change your compression ratio, so consider that. If you have the 351's I'd go with them, hard to go wrong.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com//Detailed/630.shtml
Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts