Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to use the 1" drop 620# springs with Shelby LCA drop. I plan on using this as a "cruiser" more than a corner carver. Are the softer GR-2's a bad match for the spring though? Will there be an adverse side effect if I use the softer KYB vs. the stiffer gas-a-just?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Normally if you have a stiffer spring, you want a softer shock. If you have a stiffer shock you want a softer spring. Since you have a stiffer spring, I'd go with the softer [and cheaper] GR-2s. :-D BTW, I have the 480# 1" drop springs, GR-2 shocks, delrin bushed strut rods, Opentracker's excellent roller spring perches and the LCA drop and find it a Goldilocks suspension solution--not too hard, not too soft and it will hold its own around the curves. You'll probably have a similar success story if you go with the GR-2 shock and 620# springs, although you will find it a bit stiffer than mine.
Daniel

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I have 620# 1" lower springs from Maier and KYB Gas-A-Just shocks with a negative wedge kit . It does make for a stiff front end , but it handles very nice . Also have the 4.5 leaf mid-eye leaf springs . If you don't want a harsh ride you should use the GR2's .

·
Registered
327 Posts
I guess its' personal opinion about ride, but FWIW, I have the 620's, 1" lowering, and got the Gas Adjust KYB's on my 66 vert. It's stiff, but not at all uncomfortable or harsh. I have a 1/4 mile dirt/gravel and pothole driveway, the roads up here in Maine aren't great, but the ride is nice, tight, and no "kickback" or neck jarring when I meet a bump. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My setup is very similar to the last two posters: 620# w/ 1" drop (cut a full coil), KYB Gas-Adjust, Shelby 1" drop, and 5-leaf mid-eyes on the rear.

The ride is much firmer than before, but I like it considerably better than a loose driving car that feels like it is all over the road. No one that rides in it is expecting (or wanting) it to feel like riding in a Cadillac anyway ;)

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
BornInAFord said:
Normally if you have a stiffer spring, you want a softer shock. If you have a stiffer shock you want a softer spring.
Disagree, the job of what is misnomerly called the shock or shock absorber is really dampening and controlling spring oscillations. Too soft shock is not capable to control stiff spring once it starts bumping and rebounding. Shocks and springs should matched to each other.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Arto65FB said:
BornInAFord said:
Normally if you have a stiffer spring, you want a softer shock. If you have a stiffer shock you want a softer spring.
Disagree, the job of what is misnomerly called the shock or shock absorber is really dampening and controlling spring oscillations. Too soft shock is not capable to control stiff spring once it starts bumping and rebounding. Shocks and springs should matched to each other.
Thanks for the correction. I probably should have clarified--I'm not talking about getting the stiffest 6 leaf spring in the Mustangs Plus catalog and coupling it with the softest shock or the 3 leaf spring and setting Konis to their stiffest setting in order to balance the ride out. You are right, of course, that the American "shock absorber" is really the oscillation damper and the spring itself is the shock absorber. A stiff dampener can overwhelm a soft spring. However, with a mid-range spring (we were talking about 480#, 520# and 620# springs and a relatively light car), a ride can be tailored to somewhat stiffer or somewhat more compliant with an informed dampener choice like the GR-2 by adjusting Konis to suit the road surface, driving style and spring rate. That better? :)
Daniel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts