Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have my door panels finished this week, and then I can start assembling them. I am in search of some nice door lights to add to the panels, and I'd like to hear which one you would have preference for. I am interested in the red & white ones as they are sort of a kick back to the Pony door lights. Can't decide on the square or oval ones, or maybe I'll keep looking. I thought these might be nice since even though I am doing a fully custom interior, I am keeping in mind the vintage era, and trying to keep a retro back to the 60's. Also have thought about making my own, which I have already figured out, but also figured would be a lot more costly than these, they would also be round. Anyway the door panel they will be going on is just below these photos.

For those who I know will ask, The reason I'm thinking of placing them in the door panels is because I do not want to cut holes in my perfect non- pony doors.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/assets/250/x60420.jpg http://www.billetspecialties.com/assets/250/x60220.jpg
http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL76/711583/1216381/30894345.jpg

·
Registered
499 Posts
I like the oval, where'd you find the lights? They probably wouldn't look good in my interior, but I'm curious. I've never seen them before.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Rectangle red and white! They are a modern version of the pony lights! :)

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Oval for the Blue Oval.

G

·
Although I like the rectangle versions I'm glad you showed the door panel. With its curves the oval would seem to be the better style.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I am going with the circular style!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I like the circle red/white lights the best.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I prefer the rectangle one, they are most fitting for the cars of that era, which were kind of boxy in style.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Given those choices, I would chose the rectangular. The ovals aren't really ovals, and I don't think they match the curves very well. Too angular. If it was more like the Ford oval, with no straight sections, then that would work. Also, rectangulars with a larger corner radius would match better. Location is also important. Are you going to put them in the aluminum panel or on the bottom, towards the front of the door? The lower left corner, near the radius, would look good with a round light that is proportional to the radius.

Nice work. Good luck! ::

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haven't really set an exact place yet, but was figuring either on the lower portion of the base of the armrest, or directly behind the armrest in the lower rear bottom part of the panel.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I'd use the rectangular pieces, red/white. I'd put them as far to the back of the door as I could, like the original pony setup.

Unless you have other shapes like the "oval" ones in the car, they would look out of place.

·
Registered
334 Posts
personally i'd go with the oval ones just to be different .. after all the rectangular ones are similar to the pony interior ones so if ya want rectangular ones might as well use those, but the whole point is your trying to make something unique right .. ::

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,483 Posts
I have to vote for the square style. They are more of an "upgrade" or "restomod" part. They look like a new+improved version of the Deluxe or Pony lights. They fit rather well with the idea of the new panel. New+custom but with a nod to the originals in style and with the brushed metal insert. This kind of thinking I believe results in some of the best looking restomods out there. A bit different and improved over the original parts, but not so far out there that the casual observer is reminded of the BatMobile.
That and the oval ones remind me of a 50's streetrod's taillights for some reason.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Oval red/white. Looks classy and yet modern.. Damn I sound like an art dealer..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts