Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 with a 289 automatic. I just purchased a Holley 600 cfm with an electric choke. I need this to be very streetable, but would like some performance. What is a good intake manifold for this application. I have looked at the Weigand Action Plus, Holley 300-39. Any suggestions

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,743 Posts
I am running the Edelbrock F4B on my 65 with the Holley 4160 (600 cfm), RV cam, Hedman long tubes, and a 3.25 rear. It is no race car, but makes for a fun ride on the street.

I hope to upgrade the heads soon to afr 165's or gt40x's. Also, I will probably swap out the cam at that time just so I can actually know what is in there.

The F4B is an old school intake that, according to Edlebrock tech, is the equivalent of the Performer RPM with a bit more range on the lower end.

If you are looking for newer technology, I have heard good things about the RPM Air-Gap also.

·
7,014 Posts
That's my carb.

I'm using one of the Ford Motorsport Dual Plane Hi-rise intakes. I can't complain about anything other than the difficulty in getting the hood to close. When you've got to worry about what wingnut to use on your air cleaner...you're cutting it too close!

If I was buying one today, I'd look at that Weiand Stealth intake. The "air gaps" (to me) look like they should be renamed the "Dirt Traps". I can't imagine trying to keep one of those things clean, if that's important to you. That stealth intake looks like it'd be perfect for the street.

One more thing...be aware you'll need to rejet that holley if you're running it on a (or near stock) 289. Try 6 sizes smaller than stock. That worked for mine. Once I modified everything else, I put the stock jets back in it. I think Holley jets there generic carbs for about 350 CID.

Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts