Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What motor would be best to use for a street driven early 'vert? I want MAJOR performance but not too wild that I would loose smoothness. Recently test drove a tired 289 (dog) and my buddy's 429 Eliminator (too wild for me). Will be using AOD but do not want EFI. Decent budget.

Thanks
jim

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What car?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66 'vert

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I think a early 80's 5.0 L or a 351 W.

It depends if you're starting out with anything (parts wise) or starting fresh.

I went with a 89 5.0L, but its carbed.

www.mustangsteve.com has 351W info.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You can order any number of 302, 351W engines with what ever your heart desires in the HP range from numerous manufactures. how much HP are you looking for? Mid range 300 to 375?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I like the 351W with AOD. With a mild build it has lots of grunt and engine and parts are readily available. With a 289 or 302 you can get the same and better performance but it gets more expensive and drivability and reliability will suffer. With my heavy Cougar I have gotten 21MPG cruising at 70MPH. It's a decent combo that has good idle and performance and efficency. IMO John

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
well built 289 or 302 mated to the AOD would make for a nice combo. but, to get the big numbers out of them youl have to spin them up pretty far to make alot of power. and it would take away from some streetability. a well built 351W would be another good option. those engines make alot of torque with ease that the 289 or 302 would have to work awfully hard to make....a late model 5.0 engine is a good option. i have lots of buds who have 5.0's, and those engines make such smooth power.with those roller cams they can wind to 6k all day it seems without much trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned/suggested using a Stroker motor ::

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/347_400Horsepower.htm

Not only do 289/302 - 331/347 Stokers fit as "Stock" , they can give you equal/greater performance than a 351 with less weight. Of course you could always Stroke a 351 and have a real screamer on your hands as well.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I'd go with a 302 or a 351W. If you're not satisfied with the stock 302/351W you have lots of parts to choose from in order to upgrade it. If that's not enough you can always get a Paxton.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts