Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a muffler that will give me that really deep rumble, and I think ive either narrowed it down to Flowmaster, SpinTech, or Custom made Steelpacks. I also want the interior noise to be tolerable on 500+ mile trips.

Whats your input?

(im also planing on installing dumps in the system)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
There are different series of Flowmasters. I believe 40's are the loudest.
If your looking for that nice growl you hear on the newer Stangs.. I hear they're using SLP's. Real deep throat sound.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Spintech are loud...and very expensive. 40's series flow masters work well with a carpet underlayment.
Check the flowmaster website for sound bytes. That will give you a better idea.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have Flowmaster 40's and there is a sound clip on the first page of my site. As BLISTIC said carpet underlayment is a must. I also would not be using them without overdrive. When I had the 4 spd and 3.50 gears they were too loud at 70.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I got the new flowmaster "super 40's", and they sound alot deeper than my old plain 40 series flows. They drone alot less too, my car cruises very smooth even pinned at 3k on the expressway, although the X pipe helps with that issue quite a bit.

and yes the SLP loudmouth exhausts are really hot on the late models, and i have heard that system on alot of cobra's. they sound great.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
You don't have to spend alot of money to get a nice sounding street muffler. Spintech and Flowmaster are great for the track but you don't need them on the street.

I know you're not going to believe me but I think you should try a set of Summits "Turbo" mufflers.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-630122.jpg

They are only $14.75 and I think you be suprized how nice and deep they sound.

No one will know unless they look under the car and if they do they'll think you have a pair of Walker "Super Turbos" under there.

For that price (1/2 of one Spintech or Flowmaster) you can throw them away if you don't like them... (but you will!)

Charlie ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts