Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I replaced my (most likely very) old oil pressure sender unit 3 years ago with a new one from NPD. The old unit was still working, but I was not sure if I can trust the readings. Now after only 3 years the new sender is broken, the resistance is over 100kOhms.
Which brands are you guys using? The ones from the local auto store or units from e.g. Motorcraft?
Engine is a 289 with stock oil pressure gauge.

Thanks and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
O'Reilly can order the Motorcraft sender ($63.99). If you don't mind waiting a few days you can get Motorcraft from Rockauto much cheaper ($23.79).

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O'Reilly can order the Motorcraft sender ($63.99). If you don't mind waiting a few days you can get Motorcraft from Rockauto much cheaper ($23.79).
I am not gonna pay $64 ;) Even Amazon has it for $24ish. The question is, is this a good unit?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,660 Posts
I had one on my F150 worked fine but developed a leak. (Same sender you are asking about) Parts store one read approximately 10 psi different. I got interested in which one was more correct and checked it. A second one was close to that far off too, Returned them in favor of a Motorcraft sender which read correctly.
My old truck, like our cars, didn't read actual PSI. But I have a dual sender extension that I use for testing. IE, I can hook up and run the stock gauge plus a mechanical test gauge. That way I can get an idea of what "L" and "H" actually mean in PSI with a little testing hot and cold. I've done this on most of my Fords.

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I am not gonna pay $64 ;) Even Amazon has it for $24ish. The question is, is this a good unit?
Either the Motorcraft or a Standard PS60 are the only two I'd use. Don't get the T-series from Standard, that's the cheapo line.

O'Reilly can order the Motorcraft sender ($63.99).
O'Reilly strikes again.

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I ordered the Motorcraft unit. Should arrive next Monday. Fingers crossed it survives more than three years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
I too prefer a Motorcraft sending unit, although recently I did have to order two to get a good one. I have a mechanical gauge tapped off the extension also and comparing the stock L-H gauge with it the stock gauge seems to be scaled 0-100psi. I have 65psi at idle when cold and the stock gauge reads about 5/8 above L and around 3/8 at hot idle 40psi. Just an observation for reference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts