Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i have an idea that the panel replacement on my fastback is gonna be higher than what i expected. My uncle is an experienced welder (used to do it for a living) and has done all the work on my front clip and floor pan replacement. Here is the panels that are left to be repaired. Both trunk pans w/drop off, taillight panel, both quarter panel skins, and both inner and outer wheelhouses on both sides. since these are all interconnected, i was curious if anyone has had any experience replacing the panels and which panel would be a good starting point and the steps to complete all of them. basically i want opinions on the sequential order of panel replacement, or does it matter? this is a budget buildup, so i can't afford $3000 to put into just panel replacement. These panels will all be repros, in case that helps any. thank you everyone for all the help you have provided in the past and will provide in the future! Guess i am more of a motor and electronic guy than a body man, unfortunately restoring a mustang normally just needs a body man :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am in the same boat with my 70 coupe. I got some respones a few days ago,take a look, its a few pages back. [body work help needed]

Hope we get some more input. Lots of panels, and a lot of chances to mess it up, so I want to do it right.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I pretty much had to replace the same panels myself. I documented it somewhat on my website if you are interested (seem my sig). I did my sheetmetal replacement in this order (not saying it's correct, but it worked for me):

Floor pans
Rear inner fenders (hood hinge locations)
Battery tray
Front cross member
Core support
right torque box
Left Quarter panel (removal)
Left outer wheelhouse
trunk drop off
Rear window lower ledge
left quarter installation
rear wheel well in front of gas tank
right quarter removal
right wheelhouse
right trunk drop off
rear cross member
right quarter installation

Best of luck!

Glenn

·
Registered
532 Posts
Great web site Glenn. Lots of good info to see what I am up agenst. :)

Wile I dont have that much rust, pretty much the same panels have to be changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts