Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to AutoBody Express here in Tampa which was recommended as a supplier by three body shops near my house. I want to buy a primer to spray on the areas as I finish working on them. The guy there recommended the DPLF PPG Epoxy Primer. Data on it can be found here. It is $254 a gallon, which is more than I expected for primer. He said this was a midline product for PPG.

As an alternative he also showed me the ShopLine level primer which was $95 a gallon. Information on it can be found here.

Is it worth the extra $150 for the Deltron product, or am I safe with the Shop-Line? This is just the base primer to go over bare metal, but it is the foundation for my entire paint job in the end. Which would you recommend for the base application?

Jon

·
Registered
671 Posts
I use the PPG DP-LF primer. It is an epoxy primer which adheres really well to bare metal and is a great base to have as a foundation. My PPG rep says the shopline products are the same PPG products, but most have the reducer in them already which brings the cost down. Also, shopline products carry no warranty so that's another reason for less price. Bottom line is that the shopline epoxy is the same product with less price. I would use the shopline product on my own car and not think twice about it. The only reason I don't use it at my shop is because I have to use PPG only products to get their warranty. By the way, shopline and omni are the exact same products, just different labels. Shopline is only available for sale from the "Platinum" paint jobbers. It's just another benefit of PPG only jobbers to say that PPG caters to them for selling only PPG paint products.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I read this correctly, I should be okay with the lower cost primer, so long as I take care with my prep for priming.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts