Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given these 3 choices which rear end should I pick up?

SN95 complete 8.8 w/ discs and just weld my spring pads to it

9” from a torino, seller says its 60” from outer brake drum surfaces, will this work w/o needing to be narrowed? Made to work w/ correct offset wheels?

69 F100 9”, same questions as the torino.

Eventually I want to run a TCI or Ridetech rear and these kits are made specifically for a 9” housing but I guess they could be adapted to work w/ an 8.8.

If I was ok w/ leaving the car leaf spring I would assume that the 8.8 would be the best option. Are there any kits that I’m not aware of that will let me use a 4 link or torque arm style with the 8.8”

Currently the car has the standard rear that came w/ the 6 banger setup.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
What is your goal?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
As I recall, the 67-70 rear axles for the mustang were 59.25 inches wide... so I am pretty sure a 60 inch axle would work by adjusting your backspacing appropriately IF THE SPRING MOUNTING PLATES ARE IN THE CORRECT POSITION.

Does your signature indicate a LS1 transplant? Gasp! The shame, the shame...

-Rory

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sig does indicate an LS1 transplant(actually L33, 5.3 truck motor). its hard to beat an aluminum block/aluminum headed 350 hp motor for under $2k regardless of where it came from. Besides, if I built a ford motor not much of it would be ford by the time I was done. Dart block, Trickflow heads, custom cam, victor intake, maybe spark plug wires and the oil pump shaft would have ford racing on them but thats as close as it would get to having a factory part left. Besides, I have the little 5.0 that could in the LX.

I just want the car to be a car show head turner that isn't a trailer queen that I can beat on w/o worry.

Ideally I would do an 03/04 IRS swap but thats just not in the budget right now.

The seller of the 9" mentioned that the rear was a coil spring rear and that I would need to move my spring pads over.
As much as I want the 9" I'm just thinking that I may be better off getting the leaf springs to work w/ the 8.8 that already has discs since I'll be big $$ ahead doing that by the time I put discs on the 9" and get the 4 link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts