Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
[QUOTE="GGtryhard, post: 10355771, member: 226870 [/QUOTE]

ok so I got a 3.25 3rd member it’s not a tru-loc but the person I bought it from said that it is not going to work unless I change my transmission. Then I’ll have to change my bell housing and my drive line. Any info would be appreciate. Thanks

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
ok so I got a 3.25 3rd member it’s not a tru-loc but the person I bought it from said that it is not going to work unless I change my transmission. Then I’ll have to change my bell housing and my drive line. Any info would be appreciate. Thanks
I have no idea why someone would say to need to change your transmission simply for a different rear end. If you are changing from a 2.79 8" to 3.25 8" it should be a direct swap of pumpkins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have no idea why someone would say to need to change your transmission simply for a different rear end. If you are changing from a 2.79 8" to 3.25 8" it should be a direct swap of pumpkins.
That’s what I thought but he said my rpm would be running to high around 70-80 mph. Right now it does 100 just fine with this gear ratio. ??? Higher gear ratio better ???

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I ran a 3.55 in my car with a C4 (the same 1:1 final drive as your 3 speed). It would spin about 3,400 rpm at 75 mph...and I did that from Michigan to California. The 3.25 would give you about 3,100 rpm at 75.

·
Super Moderator
9,576 Posts
How won’t it work with the current transmission?

Because of the gears or because it’s not a Traction Lock?

Neither of those are factors.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts