Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am gonna be starting to work on my 69 again. it will be street driven. i am looking for a good rear spring to run. i'm thinking about lowering the car a bit too. who makes a good spring? or even a decent susp package?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used these Global West rear springs (or an older similar version of them) which lower the rear 1" (I used the del-alum or poly bushishs as well, don't remember whose).

http://www.globalwest.net/1964-73_Mustang_rear_leaf_springs_and_shackle_bushings_kits.htm

I did it a long time ago and I can't comment on whether there is newer better stuff, and I don't road race the car either, but I'm happy with the springs. Combined with aftermarket front springs and the shelby mod on the (TCP) upper control arms the car has a nice height front and rear.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was looking at the Grab A Trak 4 1/2 leaf reverse eye springs. I have 560# 1" drop front coils and a 1" Shelby drop up front. I was thinking the 1.5" drop with the leafs above would make a nice stance. I'm researching leafs too so hopefully others will pipe in.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm really happy with Maier Racing rear leaf springs. They stack all the springs biased towards the front (not center stacked). Stacking the leafs towards the front makes it feel like a traction bar setup. After I installed these springs all my wheel hop issues were eliminated.

http://www.maierracing.com/images/large1pnms2307.jpg

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have Maier Racing #165 springs. As garner67 said, there is no wheel hop at all (and no traction bars). But they are very stiff - about like riding in an air-bagged mini-truck. I have KYB Gas-Adjust shocks. I may try some Monroes to see that will soften the ride, but I think most of the stiffness is the springs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i want to lower the front an inch, do i have to do the shelby mod? i don't really want to drill my scj shock towers! i like the idea of those maier springs. i will have to look into them.

·
Registered
767 Posts
No. Doing the shelby drop is for handling, not for actually lowering the front of the car. (In practice, it lowers it a minimal amount, but nowhere near the full 1".)

Replacing your front springs, or trimming the ones you have, will drop the front end without having to drill your towers.

·
Registered
913 Posts
ozarks06 said:
I have Maier Racing #165 springs. As garner67 said, there is no wheel hop at all (and no traction bars). But they are very stiff - about like riding in an air-bagged mini-truck. I have KYB Gas-Adjust shocks. I may try some Monroes to see that will soften the ride, but I think most of the stiffness is the springs.
I would suggest the bilsteins that Maier sales. They have tested them extensively with their leafs. I am running them and they are the best shocks I have ever had.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
MedievaL said:
ozarks06 said:
I would suggest the bilsteins that Maier sales. They have tested them extensively with their leafs. I am running them and they are the best shocks I have ever had.
yeah, you might want to check into better shocks. air shocks are stiff.

my konis with the maier springs are stiff, but not too jolting.

i'm a believer in spending more $$ on shocks. quality shocks make a significant impact on ride/performance quality.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You guys may have sold me on those Maier leafs. I already bought some Bilsteins too so that jives with them.

Is anyone running them with staggered rear shocks? Or does their design negate the need for the staggered rears? I was planning to convert but may not need to.

·
Registered
722 Posts
ozarks06 said:
I have the 200 lb Maier mid eye race leafs on mine with konis I like it stiff but the way the roads are falling apart around here I may have to swap them for something softer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts