Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Which Rear Leafs?

939 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  PonyUp 
#1 ·
I'm adding Power steering to my '66 vert. With it I've decided to rebuild my front suspension with the basic kit from American Pony (Canadian Mustang) which includes the Midolyne bushings. I'm getting the 447# 1" drop coils from NPD and will also do the Shelby Mod. I'm also considering getting the stock Special, GT, Competition replacement Leafs for the rear, also from NPD, and re-using my 2" lowering blocks. The front coils are only $67/pr., but the leafs are kind of pricey at $179/pr.

Considering the choices I've made above can you suggest a cheaper/different rear leaf? I'm looking for well balanced better than stock performance, but don't want too harsh of a ride that many seem to get with 620# coils and 5 leafs. FYI, I also have a 1" front sway bar and my consider a 3/4" for the rear.

What are your thoughts?

#3 ·
The Mustang Plus leafs are rear nice. I am running 4.5 leaf mid-eye. A little stiffer then stock and also helps control wheel hop. A reverse eye spring should lower the car about 2 inches. I think they were about 180.00 for the pair.

#4 ·
G
#5 ·
I'm running 620s and a set of 5 leaf mid-eyes. The ride is tight, but I wouldn't describe it as harsh. My personal preference is to err on the side of performance instead of ending up with a $200 job that still sags and buckles in the corners.

If you are going as far as doing a Shelby mod to the front A arms, my two cents is to go with at least a 4-1/2 leaf setup in the rear. If you want to save a few bucks, forego the rear sway bar in favor of the better rear leafs.

#6 ·
I have the same set-up. I think the ride is definately firm. If you are going with both the 1" drop coils, and the shelby a-arm, be careful with your headers. Full tubes will drag on large pieces of lint... I have tri-y's and little problems.

#7 ·
You can judge from the photo about results on my 1967 convertible: My rear springs are 4.5 leaf reverse eye; the ride seems about the same as 4 leaf springs except more controlled and have about a 1.5 inch drop. My front suspension includes a ProMotorsports negative wedge kit and Eibach progressive rate springs with 1/3 coil removed; the ride is very smooth and has a total drop of about 1.5 inches. I also use a 7/8" Stam adjustable rate front sway bar and stiffer non rubber bushings front and rear. My car handles very well with little or no sway. I did not install a rear sway bar as not necessary and most likely would produce oversteer.

Consider buying your front coil springs at a stock height, then you can trim the coils to a more precise height.

#8 ·
Given your front springs, heavy duty 4 leaf or 4 1/2 leaf would probably give you the best balance. 5 leafs are more suited to 620# front springs.

I got my leafs from Canadain Mustang and have had no problems. (I did have problems with their coils)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.