Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I need to get the front bumper of my 68 rechromed due to a 1/4" dia chip.

Is there a specific "grade" to ask for to ensure to be very close to the original finish.

There is a reputable company near my place, but they call their chrome "show chrome". I am just worried to gat something too flashy, if that could be.

Any thoughts on that.

Thanks

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Show chrome is the best quality plating and it's what you want.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Laurie_S said:
Show chrome is the best quality plating and it's what you want.
Ok, Thanks for that.

I was just unsure if to get an original look, you would have to ask for a different grade, since I've seen cars and motorcycles in the past with outstanding chromes on them, looking almost too perfect to me.

So from your experience, I gather that the show chrome grade is close to the look of the original ones.

Thanks Laurie

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Midlife said:
Show chrome is superior to original chrome plating that one gets from the OEM: thicker, better quality, better shine.
But does this get outbalanced with the other pieces of the car with original chrome (like rear bumper ) and is it considered OK for MCA shows (the car is mostly original).

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
No, it looks just fine. I have show chrome on my coupe (bumpers, door handles, backup lights, and trunk trim) and it looks no different than any other concours 68. In fact, I bought an NOS front bumper for my fastback and before getting it show chromed, I compared it to my coupe's bumper and saw no real difference. It will last longer and look better, but will not stick out like a sore thumb in any way.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
I've considered the same issue with a couple of up coming restorations. The problem you have is that if you go with a lower quality (to look more stock) and your not happy then you have lost allot of dollars if your not happy.

Much easier to go with something that will be the sure thing (better quality)

Have one dated bumper I want to try with something with less to better reproduce the original thin plating and not fill the dates. But that's just me and this particular job ;)

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'm sure everyone knows this. It's the copper and nickel layers of plating, not the
thickness of chrome that gives the corrosion protection. The polishing of the
copper and nickel is what gives the mirror look.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff_Speegle said:
Have one dated bumper I want to try with something with less to better reproduce the original thin plating and not fill the dates.)
Interesting, where is the date marking? I'd like to check mine.

As far as this lesser grade, what would it be called in the plater's language?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Jeff_Speegle said:
Have one dated bumper I want to try with something with less to better reproduce the original thin plating and not fill the dates. But that's just me and this particular job ;)
Jeff - Can't you fill the dates with lead, then clean them out after plating? I have never tried it, but it is a thought. I don't think the plating will adhere to the lead.

G

·
Last original bumper I had re-chromed, I asked the plater to make sure not to fill in the date stamp. He did a good job, date looked normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts