Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1969 Mustang. I'm not a mechanic and i need to learn everything that i want to do with the car. i can fix small things, but usually i bump into a problem how to take things apart or back together, etc.

I think a good workshop manual would help me here? Which one is really good? I'm looking at 5 book set: Mustang Shop Manual 5 Volume Set Mustang 1969

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
what exactly are you looking to take apart?

How to rebuild SB fords by Tom Monroe is a great book. Had mine 30 years and still refer back to it

the shop manuals are great to but like mentioned does not get into any troubleshooting details or for many things step by step instructions

for example all its going to say is remove cyl head. its may not give you a 15 step detailed process to do so.

Toms book is way more detail oriented.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
^^^Yes^^^ I would also get the assembly manuals. They complement the shop manuals very well. They have much of the details that are missing.

These cars are actually pretty simple and most things can be done with a socket set and a screw driver. You can rent/borrow the other stuff from your local auto supply store. If you rent it more than twice, go buy one. Just take pictures along the way so you know what you're doing when you put it back together. Put all your nuts and bolts into plastic bags and label them in detail. Another technique I sometimes use is to stick my screws and bolts into cardboard (along with the washer and nut) and just write on the cardboard where it goes. The more detail the better so you remember what to do a month later.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to be able to tackle different problems in a car. How to dismantle doors or dash. How to fux different loose or bad buttons. How to solve electrical problem (lights,...). I don't really need books on rebuilding engine, transmition, etc, because that would be too much.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I don't really need books on rebuilding engine, transmition, etc, because that would be too much.
You own a 47 year old car...you will need the books for the engine and transmission. Trust me on that one :)

·
Premium Member
11,419 Posts
I still have my Ford 5 Volume Shop Manual set from when I owned a '69 Mach1 40 years ago. They are expensive but well worth it. The Chilton & Haynes manuals are completely insufficient.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The Osborn manuals are great references. You will be disappointed if you want/need instructions. These manuals are mainly reduced Ford engineering assembly production drawings. There are no instructions they are actual engineering drawings reduced in copying to B size. I know of no other source for actual Ford drawings these are IMO invaluable.

The shop manuals have figures with little details and often like a treasure hunt. As you get familiar with the shop manual you get the jump around technique. For example say you're trying to remove the headlight switch knob.It's in the manual somewhere trust me!

Big problem with Chilton manual is it attempts to cover too much in one small manual. When I bought my 68 Mustang in 1977 I went to the local parts store they have a rack like a drug store magazine rack. Chilton manuals for all makes and models. I grabbed the Mustang 1965-73 repair and tune up guide all models.
Hey I've used it a lot as a basic sometimes correct reference/starting point. 270 pages covering 8 model years, all body styles, all engines, carbs, transmissions automatic, 3 speed and 4 speed, brakes manual, power, drum, disc. Steering manual, power. HVAC with or without A/C. Old folks recall the day of encyclopedias. Folks who couldn't afford a true 15 book (?) set like my folks had a 2 book summary.

Today we have the internet. All knowledge is available on the net. I for one hate the social media and avoid the net as much as possible. Have lots of worn dog eared marked up loose pages paper manuals!

P

·
0 Posts
Very simple, buy the Ford factory manuals. That's all you need. Not cheap, but it is from where the other books get their info. Go with the actual Ford stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts