Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so I’m thinking of heading over to a local salvage yard to pull a T5. I’m wondering what years are acceptable. Obviously I want a world class. My 289 is an early 5 bolt block and has a c4 right now. I have a 5 bolt manual bell housing and I think I’ll need an adapter to have it fit up to the T5. But are the 94-96 t5s good? Those are the ones I see most at the yards. But I’ve heard they have larger input shafts. Will that be a problem?

·
Registered
523 Posts
My conversion a couple of years ago with 5.0/T5 from a ‘92 mustang and cable clutch conversion from Mustang Steve and Modern Driveline transmission cross member.

Original was 289/C4.

This is how the transmission lined up to original opening.
No cutting required.

·
Premium Member
12,159 Posts
If you get the '94 and later T5 you have to use the matching bellhousing because of the longer input shaft. That bellhousing is a 6 bolt so it won't fit your block. You need to look for an '83-'93 WC T5.

·
Registered
888 Posts
As he said. Also check this website to see the gear ratios:

What rear end are you running or planning to run?

WC is preferred, better would be a T5z. But if you have a stock 289 and don’t drive it hard a non WC (STD) will do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Be careful, used T5s are a real crap shoot! Most have been hammered. I returned 2 because they were trashed. Pull the oil fill plug and check the reverse gear fro chips. Best to get it open to inspect the synchros and dogs on the gears. Every donation ready junk yard Mustang I have seen in the yards, the trans was long gone. Remember in Craigslist Transmission speak; "only 200 miles on it" translates to; "only drag raced"!!!

Most jy trans will need rebuilding in the first few years, why not get one done and hot have to pull it and do the work...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts