Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the rear wheel cylinders on my ‘66. Looking at the listings for them I see that there is a build To Date and a Build From date. I have that figured out okay. But there is another qualifier of front disc or drum. I’m assuming (yikes) one has or passes more fluid then the other.
The car originally had drums in front but now has the Granada Discs. Should I buy the ones for front discs?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Do you have drums on the rear? Disc brakes use calipers not wheel cylinders like drum brakes. Or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
12,035 Posts
The difference between the "before" and "after" wheel cylinders is the diameter of the bore. There is something like 1/32" difference between them- 7/8" and 29/32".
I just looked up the Granada and it has 15/16" bores- another 1/32" larger.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Do you have drums on the rear? Disc brakes use calipers not wheel cylinders like drum brakes. Or am I missing something?
The wheel cylinders on the rear drums would have had a different diameter depending on if the car originally had drums or disc up front.

FWIW to the OP, disc brake conversion kits don't have you switching out the wheel cylinder on the rear drums.

Reactions: RestoMike66

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you are happy with your brakes, remove the cylinder and measure the bore and order the cylinders with same bore size.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Since we're on this topic, I also want to replace my rear wheel cylinders. Is there a better brand to look for, or are they all the same?

When I first got my car 20+ years ago, I went through the brake system. When I went to bleed the new cylinders, I found that one side had the expected SAE bleeder screw on it. The other side was 10mm! Local parts store had to go through several boxes to find a matching set of SAE sized bleeder screws. I've always had a problem with the right rear wheel locking up first, so I suspect it's a slightly different bore size. Hopefully going to resolve this by using new cylinders on both sides.

Harry Z

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Since we're on this topic, I also want to replace my rear wheel cylinders. Is there a better brand to look for, or are they all the same?
Harry Z
I've had good luck with Raybestos, Dorman, AC Delco and Wearever. I try to keep the same brand on the same axel even though if they are spec'ed the same that shouldn't be a problem/

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I've rebuilt wheel cylinders without even unbolting them from the car. Just get a wheel cylinder repair kit, make sure the bores of the wheel cylinder look good, wipe it off and slap it back together. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to y’all that info leads me to decide on the 7/8 from NPD made by Rasbestos. It seems that they would have been the original size used. And I sure don’t want to introduce a possible lockup problem.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
You can pick them up from your local O'reilly's or Autozone for like $12 each.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts