Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...anyone, I hope you can help!
I have a white 69 Mach 1 and have been restoring it to as close to original as possible. Following my Marti Report the car came with whitewall tires so I am looking to get the best "original looking" radial whitewall tires without breaking the bank, no Coker tires too much $$'s! Size 215 70R15's Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have Toyo Eclipses on my '66 and Hankook Optimo H724s on my '68, both with whitewalls. I like them both. I think the Toyo is a little better-looking; the Hankook has more molded-in graphics on the sidewall. Mine are 195/75R14, but I think both tires are available in 215/70R15 as well. Be careful of off-brand whitewall tires; I have a set of those where the whitewall turned brown a few days after they were installed.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
+1 on the Cooper Trendsetters...Sold by Sears by the way... and the next cheapest alternative is the Hankook 724 Whitewalls... I have them on my '65... The Hankook 724 Whitewalls are usually sold at the "Discount Tire" tire store chains across the U.S. ...a premier supplier of them.

That's about all I know today that still makes and sells radial whitewalls. The majority of tire makers just don't make them anymore.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
My friend has Cooper Trendsetters on his 63 Caddy. They seem like a quality tire and look nice. If I had that car, I would be inclined to go with white letter Cooper Cobras it already has, just me.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have Uniroyal Tiger Paws that are whitewalls tires. They look good too!
I have those too on my 66 (from Sears). Main reason I got them is at least they sound American. When you go to a car meet up you won't see any Asian words like "Hankook" on the tire sidewall.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying to find styled chrome rims for my 69 Mustang. Coker and Scott Drake are 5 to 8 weeks out!! Any idea where I can pick up some 15x7's?

·
1,211 Posts
I have those too on my 66 (from Sears). Main reason I got them is at least they sound American. When you go to a car meet up you won't see any Asian words like "Hankook" on the tire sidewall.
Same here..I put Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my '66 also..Mine are 14's but I'm sure they have 15's too.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
"I have a white 69 Mach 1 and have been restoring it to as close to original as possible. Following my Marti Report the car came with whitewall tires so I am looking to get the best "original looking" radial whitewall tires without breaking the bank, no Coker tires too much $$'s! Size 215 70R15's Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? "

Just thought of something here after I went back and re-red your post...

What wheels are you putting the white walls on??

If you are thinking of putting them on your Magnum 500's, Forget it. #1. The Magnum 500's didn't come from the Ford factory on a '69 Mach 1 Mustangs originally. They only came on the Boss 429 cars originally. I don't think that they came on Boss 302's either. Your Mach 1 would have come with the Argent or Chromed '68-'69 Styled Steel wheels or just a plain steel wheel and dogdish hubcap. Besides, White wall tires on a Magnum 500 wheel just look absolutely horrible. Magnum 500's look best with either just a blackwall tire, or a Raised White Letter Blackwall tire.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Marti Report says Styled chrome wheels with whitewalls. I can't find Styled wheels anywhere. Everyone says they are back ordered for 6+ weeks! Any ideas where to find them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts