Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had another post before, about a '96 V6 convertible I found. The dealership it's at is asking $7950, but with the help of a fellow VMFer, I should be able to get it for around $6000.

Then I had an offer for a '94 GT convertible from a fellow VMFer. He's asking $7700, but we may work out something a little lower.

Now, I'm debating. The downsides to the '96 are the fact that it is a V6 and an auto. The plus sides are that it only has 50K miles, the dealer is giving a 6 month/6000 mile warranty, and it is in prefect condition. The '94's downsides are that it is an auto as well, and it has 101K miles. The plus sides are that it is in good condition, and has a V8.

So, let's say the '94 is going to cost about $1200 more than the '96. Would you guys be willing to pay more for the fun of a V8, or save the money for the lower-mileage V6? This is just sort of an opinion poll, not really you guys telling me what to do. I was thinking about which mattered more to me, and I got to wondering as to which mattered to you guys.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the 96. But, that's only because it would accomidate ME best in my current situation. I'm using my Stang as my daily driver and its eating away at my wallet. So, for me to have a 96, convertable, and saving gas w/the V6, I'd get it.

But, if I was under different circumstance in which I didnt care about the gas money, I'd definately go with the GT.

I think it all just comes down to what you need the car for. If you're going to be doing a lot of commuting, I'd go with the 6er. If you want another "fun car" go with the GT. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would personally go with the GT. Even though it's an auto they still are fun cars in my opinion.... My cousin has a '96 GT and she loves it. She does downtown driving in it every day and it still gets pretty good gas mileage. The coupe would be good too if you weren't looking for performance, but great gas mileage. I guess it just depends on what you are planing use it for. Anyway, hands down I would go with the sporty V-8, But that's just me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
GT. You want gas mileage, get a Honda. You might find you can drive the GT gently enough that the gas mileage difference is not that great.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
The soultion is the buy my brothers 95 GT convertible.
Red with black top and 5 speed. Under 100K and has one bad ass dynomax muffler system. Sounds nasty. A plus is it has a rollbar too. Another plus is I think he only wants $6,700
for it. Downside is it's in Carroll, Iowa.
In any case I'd go for the GT. They are alot more fun and you'll miss the power of a V8 if you go with the V6.
John

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mean high gas mileage. I don't really care about that part. What I mean was the higher mileage motor. The V6 only has 50K, but the GT has 101K.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about this one? I could probably work it down $6000, maybe a little more (I hope. I got a lot of advice from a VMFer that used to be a car salesman, so I feel pretty confident). It seems to be a good compromise. Maybe I'll go check it out soon.

I'm also eyeing this car. I know, I know, it's like the most commonly riced-out car, but it seems to be in good shape.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You're probably going to have a lot fewer maintenance items with the 96. 101K is a lot of miles. Plus, it being a GT they were probably hard miles.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Before you buy anything, check your insurance rates. The GT will probably be much higher than the V-6. That being said, I wouldn't buy ANY Ford 3.8 V-6 that was made before '99. The 5.0 in the '94 will go further for less than the 3.8 in the '96 IMO.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The GT is way more fun, and a better investment.

In my experience, used car warrantees aren't worth the paper they're written on! If I were you I wouldn't even factor that into the equation unless you know for a fact something is wrong and covered under the warranty (if the dealer is your friend, wink wink)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts