Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a part number or an application to look for a 9" Yoke that will work in a 66 Mustang running a Mercury Monarch 9". There are a few of them out there and want to make sure I buy the right thing.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Well, I will make a guess that the u-joint doesn't fit the yoke, right? If so you can get offset u-joints to fit. My u-joint is larger on one end than it is on the other so that I can bolt it up to the rearend yoke.

The drive shaft shop knew what I need and pulled two u-joints down and made one for by swapping caps. The u-joint that was left over fits another application so he could still sell it which was nice because he only charged me for one u-joint. The u-joints must be made by the same company if you're going to swap pieces.

I think you have to have the drive shaft cut shorter no matter what yoke you run. I am not 100% sure on this.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
use the 60-77 ford truck yoke as its short enough and the same cap size as the 8" u-joint

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
well that year will work. I also have many of them as I rebuild the rears. if you want I can just trade you for the monarch one. and you need to pull the 3rd member to swap the yoke as you must check the backlash of the ring&pinion after. also its a good time to replace the pinion seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts