Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, While im at it.....

Im getting ready to install my MSD 6A box and duraspark distributor. MSD Distributor Cap, and Taylor racing wires. I have a Edelbrock performer Intake manifold, with a 650 Holley sitting on top of it. I have heard the larger carb spacer you have the better. Is this true? Could I get away with adding another 1 1/2 inch spacer to it? I have plenty of hood clearance with my fiberglass hood. How would this effect driving and fuel delivery? Thanks in advance.......

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Some people notice a change some don't. I tried a 1" spacer and it made more car feel slower, probably changed my jetting. Since you have a performer intake the increased intake plenum may help a little.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
the larger the spacer the better for high revv driving......it speeds up the intake velocity in the intake plenum....

But for low speed driving it moves to ofast and the intake plenum floor gets wet with fuel.....

If you have a smaller spacer it is better for low end torque....

This is the same reason tunnel rams are best at high rpms.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
With a mild dual plane, you likely won't notice much difference, especially on a street car...

Main nice thing about a non-metallic spacer is it's insulative capacity to mitigate the manifold's propensity for heat-soaking the carburetor and boiling the fuel...

A one inch 4 hole spacer is really all you need...

If you're trying to tune for a higher RPM band, I'd suggest trying a different intake manifold...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts