Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water pump is leaking on my son's 67. We are looking for advice on what we should do while we are working on the water pump. The car has 50k miles on it. It seems like replacing the timing chain is a good idea. We might consider painting the engine, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea while it's still in the car. What would you do while you're at it?

Our big debate is related to our long term plans for upgrading the motor. The car has a 289 2v. We plan to upgrade to a 4v. We already have an Edelbrock Performer with a 600 CFM carb. We were not originally planning to replace the cam, but while we have the timing cover off maybe we should replace the cam.

22GT already suggested port matching and replacing the exhaust manifolds with HP manifolds if we replace the cam. That seems like a good idea.

Our relatively simple water pump replacement is now getting a lot more complicated. It seems like there is always one more improvement we can make. I need to draw the line somewhere. Expense is an issue, but it seems like now is the time since we will already have have the motor apart anyway.

What do you think? What would you do while you're in there?

P.S. We have already upgraded to a dual exhaust system with 2.25" pipe.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Chess,
You haven't gotten too many replies because you're asking a complicated question.
On one hand you're posing a "while I'm at it" scenerio....
But you also mention costs are a factor.
So you're putting the answer between a rock and a hard place.

You're the only one who can answer this, as you know what you can afford.

I believe the heads have to come off to do the Port-matching job.
So while they're off you may as well have them checked for flatness, and planed if needed....
With the new cam you'll want new lifters, with new lifters you'll want new valve springs, with new springs you'll want new moly pushrods, since you're there, new valve guides and seals....
You'll need to draw the line somewhere!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... and that's my delima. I'll try to draw a couple of lines.

The car is going to be a daily driver. More HP would be more fun, but we're not going to race it. I know I am going to get some benefit from the intake and carb. I'm not sure how much more benefit I get from going farther than that.

Anything that's relatively inexpensive (paint the engine?) or a quick job "while we're at it" is what I am most interested in. I think replacing the timing chain is a no-brainer.

I realize the cam is not cheap. Is it worth replacing the cam without the lifters, springs, etc.? I am willing to spend a few extra Benjamins if it's going to make a noticable difference. I don't want to spend more than $1k.

Does that help? What do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
"I realize the cam is not cheap. Is it worth replacing the cam without the lifters, springs, etc.? I am willing to spend a few extra Benjamins if it's going to make a noticable difference. I don't want to spend more than $1k."

if you choose to replace the cam you will have to replace the lifters. mixing old & new is a no-no.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Put on a 4V, dual exhaust and change the rear gears to 3.50. That will be less than $1K and is the best bang for the buck. After that you get into the slippery slope of cam/heads etc.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Just replace the water pump and the intake manifold with new carb. You can do this pretty easily.

Replacing the cam is taking your repair to the next level. Now you're pulling the valve covers to get the rockers off and the push rods and lifters out. You'll need to pull the radiator to put the cam in and out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
There's always more to do "while your at it". I've only had my car for 4 months and it's been on jack stands for 3 of those months because of "while I'm at it". I wish I had just done what I planned, so I could be out driving my car. In your case, I'd listen to rickster. You'll turn a two day job into a two week (or more) job real quick, because you'll just keep finding one more thing to do "while you're at it".

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll pass on the cam. What about port matching? I saw a post saying it can be done with the heads still mounted. Would that still be worth doing even with the stock cam?

Would you replace the timing chain?

Is there anything else that's easy and cheap that you recommend I consider? I forgot to mention that I am also replacing the thermostat.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Port matching never hurts, but i've never done it with the heads still on. If it were me, I wouldn't mess with the timing chain If you only have 50k miles on it, unless you have reason to think it needs replacing. They can go quite a while with proper maintenance.

I just did my water pump too, and the only extra things I did was get all of my accessory brackets powder coated (they looked pretty bad) and replaced the hoses. If your power steering pump or alternator need to be replaced, now might be a good time to do it. I was tempted to do the exact same things you're thinking about, but everything else from the water pump on turns into a whole lot more work.

Now, if you were getting ready to pull the heads or something, I'd say go ahead and do a cam, timing chain, etc. but to me, a water pump just isn't enough to justify tearing the motor apart.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Personally for a driver that you are unsure of the engine plans for the future, I would suggest leaving the timing chain alone, R&R the water pump and then remove the radiator and detail the as much of the engine compartment as you can along with replacing all the belts, the T stat, flushing all the fluids, including the brake fluid, general tune up including plugs, wires, air filter, and ad the pertronixs.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Personally for a driver that you are unsure of the engine plans for the future, I would suggest leaving the timing chain alone, R&R the water pump and then remove the radiator and detail the as much of the engine compartment as you can along with replacing all the belts, the T stat, flushing all the fluids, including the brake fluid, general tune up including plugs, wires, air filter, and ad the pertronixs.
+1..... Yup, What he said!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I did the cam/lifters/push rods, timing chain, 4v intake/carb swap on my '67 over 21 years ago in one afternoon. It is not that hard. I went with a Comp Cams 268H and was able to retain the stock springs and it give excellent power. I would not recommend porting the heads while they are on the engine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replacing the belts and fluids is great idea. The hoses are all pretty new, as are the radiator, plug wires, etc. My son and I do plan to add a Pertronix coil and ignition system. We can add that to our list of things to do. We also have a few chrome brackets we plan to install while we are at it.

Should detailing the engine compartment include paint? We will definately clean everything we can reach. I don't want to end up making it look worse by attempting to paint the engine or anything else if that is something that really should be done with the engine removed.

The timing chain is fine as far as I can tell. So is the power steering pump and alternator.

Would port matching make a noticable difference with the new intake/carb, but without the cam and related upgrades?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
i dunno. i still kick my self when I did my TC and WP back in the mid 80's in my then 71 and didnt do the cam. yeah one think leads to another but what would it have taken at that point to put in a nice cam. ahhhhh

to make matters worse I did a complete vlave job in 91 when I droped it into my now 70 and still didnt reach into the bump stick.

so I say F____it at this point so its like last Sunday Big Ben could have beaten Rodgers only if he..........and he did this ..........

so do what you wnat to do now and just get it over with is my advice.

on the flip side its nice to say at shows, my motor is stock just the way dad bought her in 71 lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts