Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm in the mood to post pics, I thought I would show off my engine compartment with the new RPM Air Gap manifold, MSD 6al and Blaster III coil, Mallory Comp S/S 42 distributor, and ignition wire loom. There's a new Edelbrock roller cam (227/234 @.50 .520/.520 lift)in there too, but thankfully you can't see that.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/776000-776999/776433_25_full.jpg

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Sweeeet.. http://www.smileys.ws/smls/grinning/00000003.gif

Hiker...http://www.smileys.ws/smls/sport/00000011.gif

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks great!!! Well hows it run?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks really cool! Tell me, what kind of carb are you running? That's the manifold I'm getting, and I've been wondering about clearance issues.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very nice! A lot of guys put the MSD box inside the car, it makes it a little easier to change the rev limiter pills.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The intake replaced a non Air Gap, the cam replaced a TFS stage 1 cam (more duration and lift), the dist. replaced a stock dist. with a crane XR-I conversion, and the 6al replaced a 6a (the XR-I had a built in rev. limiter). All were upgrades from the previous set up. Seems to run stronger, but I keep getting this burning rubber smell whenever I get on it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are quick, two more posts before I finished the last response. The carb is a 750 Speed Demon vacuum secondary. The RPM Air Gap for a 289/302 is the same height as a non Air Gap. I didn't want the box in the passenger compartment, no room, and long wiring runs. The pill is right there on the side of the box, no problem.

·
Registered
771 Posts
It looks like a great, streetable and fun setup... I am jealous with my little C code converted to a factory 4 barrel and C4 tranny. :(

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments y'all. The pic was at a little show-n-shine at a retirement home in Portland Texas. I had to lay on the ground to get that pic.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Nice work. I can see you're on the Summit Racing "A" list. ::

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I'm not, I oughta be. I think they celebrate my birthday, and wait with sugarplums dancing in their heads for my Christmas wish list.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Very nice.

One question though, I may be looking at the wrong wire but are the wires from your MSD box to your dizzy running right next to your spark plug wires? MSD said that was a big "no"

Just trying to help, not trying to be a P.I.T.A. ::

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, John. Mine is a Vintage Air system. Since the car originally had AC, hooking to my original vents was a real pain, and I couldn't use my original controls. I mounted the controls in the glove box. The pulley on the compressor would rub on the hood on occasion, probably when the engine torqued over, so I had to slot the mount a little to gain a little more clearance. It works pretty good.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input Birdguy, I'll move the box wires a little further away, probably lower underneath the coil.

·
Registered
71 Mach1, Mcode, AOD, 4 wheel discs, Ram air, Cragars in Vermilion Fire paint.
967 Posts
The pic was at a little show-n-shine at a retirement home in Portland Texas.
I trust that none of the oldies lost control of their bladders with the excitement of seeing such a nice piece of machinery? :biggrin:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That is interesting about the hood clearence, I'll have to keep an eye on that. Mine did not have air so I bought a complete system for non AC car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts