Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do to a major doofus I whipped out my cam. I liked the cam, but would like a little more RPM potential. The bottom end of my engine is stock as far as rods, crank and caps go, but I do have ARP bolts. 7K would certainly be pushing those parts, but I would think 6.5k would be possible on occation.

Given that this is a summer driver, adjusting mechanical valves from time to time would not be a big deal.

What do you think, go mechanical and have the neat sound and some more RPM potential or stay hydraulic. (If I stay hydraulic, who's lifters provide the best RPM potential? (No need for "variable duration" lifters)

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Crane makes a blueprint copy of the old hipo cam, I can get the number off the one I have if you're interested...

The HiPo cam is kind of a dinosaur these days with hydraulic rollers and computer generated grinds, but with good exhaust , will wind past 6K easily...

G

·
0 Posts
Stop hydraulicing around & do the change if you have the dough! I do prefer the hydraulic rollers but then again I prefer solid rollers! With a good set of poly-locks there's rarely a need to adjust them either. Ever think about an agressive hydraulic? I had a 305S Comp in a 466 that twisted 7500 with a stock bottom... sure miss that truck!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I decided to stay with the same cam I had and Summit lifters. Summit's lifters seem to have the same features as Crane.

Since I ignored the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying and got myself in this ordeal, I guess by staying with a cam I liked, I have learned something. IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The cam you have is what I would recommend for your combo...

Be sure to examine the rest of the engine for damage as metal particles from the cam failure got splashed around in there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts