Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does white smoke from the tailpipe mean? This is for an 86 ranger. There was white smoke from the tailpipe suddenly while my friend was driving then it died and now it won't stay running. I know its a little vague but I'd like some idea of what i should be checking tomorow. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Is it really white SMOKE or is it steam. Big difference. If it is actually white smoke, look for transmission modulator problems. If it is old enough to be hydraulically controlled with a modulator - that could be the problem. If it is steam, then I agree - water in the combustion chambers. Good Luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the same thing happen on a old toyota a while back. It was running great, i made a short stop, came back to the car and fired it up. It shot out white smoke (or steam whatever) and quit running. It was the head gasket. Needless to say i no longer have the car. It was a 500 dollar car and i got my 30,000 miles out of it.

Ryan

·
Registered
118 Posts
My guess is the head is cracked. Those motors were notorious for cracking heads! I just rebuilt the motor in my grandpa's ranger because of water in the oil. It looked like the intake gasket was leaking. After a complete rebuild I put it back together and broke in the cam. I then shut it off, pulled the dipstick to find water in the oil! After talking to ford dealers and machine shops they all agreed it was a cracked head. I pulled the heads back off to find that it was indeed a cracked head on the passenger side. So definitely have the heads magnufluxed at the least while they are off, because trust me you don't want to do it twice like I have to. Hopefully the new head will be in tomorrow then I should be able to get it going by the end of the week!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts