Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this subject and all I found were old threads. I don't imagine there are too many new white wall tire options on the market, but I always learn something new on here so I figured what the heck.

I've got Cooper trendsetter SE WSW in 195/75/14 on the car now and one went flat and its ruined. Cooper no longer makes that tire and I can't find one anywhere, so I'm considering replacing all 4 tires.

I'm looking for a smooth quite ride for less than $80/tire. Any suggestions, especially if you can give first hand experience is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
For Whitewalls today, Only one candidate that fits that description.... The Hankook Optimo 724 Tire. I usually get the 215 75 R14 or 215 70 R14 size....but they have 205 and 195 sizes as well. 205/70/R14 is as small as I would go IMHO....195's are puny... That are good tires and Speed Rated. I have them on both of my cars... Most classic "Mustangers" and Vintage car people today are already keyed into them. Hankook can't keep them on the shelves fast enough...Been a best seller of theirs for the past 7-8 years..

You can buy them at any "DISCOUNT TIRE CHAIN" Store...or online... You will probably have to Order them from your local dealer and its usually a 3 day wait from their nearest warehouse. That's what I had to do in both of my cases..

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/hankook-optimo-h724

PS: I had no idea that Cooper Trendsetters are no longer made... That would leave the Hankook 724 the only mass produced White Wall tire left being made sold in mass quantities in the U.S. . Hankook will love that... Hankook and Cooper were the only Modern mass produced Whitewalls left made for the past 10 years.... Now there is ONLY Hankook apparently.

Of course, you can always pay double the price and order from places like SUMMIT, JEGS and COKER TIRE.....for "Custom" Modern White wall tires....In that option, SUMMIT would be the cheapest.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with whitewall Uniroyal Tiger Paws 205 75R/14. Was purchased at Sears just a few years ago. Don't know about now.

Didn't like the word "Hankook" on my tires.
How well do you like the Uniroyals? Ive found them for as little as $200 for a set of 4. Are they quite on the road?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've looked at the Hankooks, but the sidewall graphics look very modern for a classic car.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
"I've looked at the Hankooks, but the sidewall graphics look very modern for a classic car. "

It blends in...and you only see it when you're right up on it... I don't care for it either.....but you get used to it a lot faster than you think... It doesn't bother me like it once did...especially when you go to a car show...and everyone has them! At any rate, They are great tires.

Tony K.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I have the Hankooks 215-75-14 on my 67.

To tall IMO, if I was to do it over, I would go with the 205s.

Ive had the Hankooks on 2 65s and my 67. great tire for the price.

·
Registered
33,985 Posts
"I've looked at the Hankooks, but the sidewall graphics look very modern for a classic car. "

It blends in...and you only see it when you're right up on it... I don't care for it either.....but you get used to it a lot faster than you think... It doesn't bother me like it once did...especially when you go to a car show...and everyone has them! At any rate, They are great tires.

Tony K.
Hmmm… I'll probably have to go that route, my tires are very low mileage but old.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
"I have the Hankooks 215-75-14 on my 67.

To tall IMO, if I was to do it over, I would go with the 205s."

LOL, 215-75-14 is my favorite tire size!....Lotsa meat! That's as tall as I go though...

It all depends what you like... If you like your car lower to the ground...205 is the way to go...

Tony K.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was in the same boat and I got Maxxis 205/70-R14 whitewalls from Coker through Summit. They are very nice and very quiet riding. I'm going to Cooper 215/60 /15s and 225/60/15s on new Legendary wheels in a couple of weeks but I'm keeping the 14s for any serious shows where the stuffy people go. 😁

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have the Hankook Optimo 724 on my 66, too. The only tire I could find last year. Unfortunately only the 205 fitted in the front. Not a performance tire, but okay for normal driving. If you start cornering they will scream ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have Milestar Touring SLE in 195-75-14 from Firestone. All-in was just over $300 for five tires. May have taken a few days to get them to the store. The ride and handling are fine, but I've rarely gone on an interstate and have not been out in the rain. I also drive pretty conservatively.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Firestone used to make the FR380's for over a decade.....They were dopey to get rid of them...They were a great tire... Can you take some better/closer pics of your sidewalls to share for the forum??

Your tires are interesting. When did you buy them?

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discount Tire kicks butt.... I don't have my tires/wheels mounted anywhere else. Their shops are usually like a clean room environment... at least the ones by me.. Great Service and prices too.

Tony K.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts