0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The players I've heard of are:

-Bennett Racing
-Coast High Performance
-D.S.S.
-Keith Craft Racing
-Fox Lake Racing

Who's the best? I'm looking for a complete 331 crate engine, to be delivered in less than 60 days. Money is not the object - quality is.

Thanks-
Craig

·
Administrator
13,018 Posts
Our president's son (not George, LOL) got a crate engine from Coast and he's a real stickler for details. He loved it!
Stan

·
Registered
981 Posts
You will get alot of variation here.I have never heard a good word about coast high performance,the only other one I am familar with is the DSS,because that is what I opted for.I believe they put alot of quality into thier engines and I have heard a lot of good about them.Just My Opinion. ::

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
Avoid CHP like the plague.

I'd avoid a crate, unless you get to specify the goods that are used to build it, or have a full list of everything that went into it.

Regardless of who builds the engine, you should not assume that they have done a good job or even a complete job of it. You should open the engine up and verify all clearances and torque settings before even thinking about putting it into your car.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Jasper engines is supposed to be good and reliable. If it were me, I'd email all of them with the info your looking for in an engine, and see which one gives the best warrenty.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
And Kent also says to watch out for 2-piece valves ;) ::

But he did have a good suggestion. I'm avaoiding crate engines altogether, because, quite frankly, unless I'm building the engine or watching it being built and I know what every last piece that goes into it is, i don't trust it at all. (all this coming from someone who has never as much as changed an air filter, let alone built an engine.)
I truly don't trust mass produced items that we depend so much upon, though. Such as engines.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
build it yourself, or have someone you know who has great knowledge build it, and YES, a good warranty helps. my dad and i do all the engine work on my 66, hes been building cars since he was 13, and has had his own dragster and team locally. but, go figure, hes a chevy guy , but i think deep down he likes my restomod lol

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Contact Roush Performance. I do not know of ANY other engine builder who offers a 24 month warranty on performance engines!!! They used to advertise a 400 HP 347. IKNOW they build others also... ;)

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Check out gofastparts.com- they are in Redlands Ca and have all OEM crate engines...could never beat their prices...Ford, GM , Mopar

·
Registered
73 Posts
DON'T use Jasper..... Had a bad experience with them... Rebuit 390, rings never seated properly and had an annoying vibration at 2000 RPM... Kept convinicing myself rings would finally seat and vibration was something else.... Finally pulled the motor this past winter and took it to a local reputable shop for the rebuild and balance... Now MUCH happier..... Stay local, much easier to address problems if there are any

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I'll just add two more - Badass Racing builds an excellent engine, if not especially cheap. And Speedomotive will do crate buildups, again not cheap. Both are excellent builders who've been around a long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts