Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
I had my hipo heads done by Powerheads in CA. I had them do their standard CNC porting of the intake & exhaust, upgrade to 1.94/1.60 valves, dual springs for upgraded solid lifter cam, and the "Hurricane" combustion chamber upgrade. It cost me about $1500, but I have heads that are comparable to most comparatively priced aluminum heads and I get to keep my vintage iron to boot. I highly recommend if you decide to stay with the iron heads, go to their website POWERHEADS.com for their flow charts & comparisons. Pics attached

Attachments

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I had my hipo heads done by Powerheads in CA. I had them do their standard CNC porting of the intake & exhaust, upgrade to 1.94/1.60 valves, dual springs for upgraded solid lifter cam, and the "Hurricane" combustion chamber upgrade. It cost me about $1500, but I have heads that are comparable to most comparatively priced aluminum heads and I get to keep my vintage iron to boot. I highly recommend if you decide to stay with the iron heads, go to their website POWERHEADS.com for their flow charts & comparisons. Pics attached
Sorry but no way these are comparable to $1500 aftermarket heads...Some very entry level small port stuff perhaps but the runners are just too small to compare to aftermarket heads with 170cc and up runners...You can do a decent cleanup job on stock heads and improve them quite a bit but it doesn't make sense to have a proffessional port them in my opinion..

·
Registered
638 Posts
Alot simply depends on your desired numbers. After talking with the guys at Cobramotive and what they are capable of squeezing out of the "entry level" stock heads, I decided to go that route rather than spending a $1k or more for aluminum heads that would still require work to perform optimally and would also require sacrificing some of that vintage flair. Different strokes for different strokes, I guess. After building my 427W in my Shelby Cobra Repica, I wasn't looking to turn it into a drag car, but 350+ h.p. at the flywheel from factory heads that are massaged is a-ok with me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts